Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  1 Votes
Re: What would you do?????????????

From The Sea
Group:
Registered Users
Why couldn't it be an equal amount of men, women, boys, and girls. Did anyone ever read * The Cay*? The book is about a man and a boy stranded on an island during WWII. They built a small raft along with hundreds of people in 1 hour and the ship sunk in 1 hour and 45 minutes. its based on a true story. the ship they used, not all the people but people did make rafts. the titanic sank in 2 hours so remember that.

You should read it some time. its 136 pages long and i read it in 8 hours.
Posted on: 2007/3/23 14:24
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  MGY Friend
      MGY Friend

From New Mexico, USA
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Why couldn't it be an equal amount of men, women, boys, and girls.

1912 was a different time. Women in the United States could not vote yet. Women were seen as the weaker gender.

Therefore, many men back then, especially the 1st class men, saw it as their duty to protect the women and let them get safely into the boats first.

Men thought that if they were to survive and get into boats, when women and children were left on board to die, that they would be looked upon as cowards. So from that, many men thought it was better to die that to be looked upon as a coward. And indeed, this happened with White Star owner J. B. Ismay. He was harrassed for the rest of his life because he got into a boat when so many other people, including women and children, died on the ship.

Quote:
Did anyone ever read * The Cay*? The book is about a man and a boy stranded on an island during WWII. They built a small raft along with hundreds of people in 1 hour and the ship sunk in 1 hour and 45 minutes. its based on a true story. the ship they used, not all the people but people did make rafts. the titanic sank in 2 hours so remember that.

No, I have not read that book. But to compare the sinking in this story to Titanic's is not realistic.

First of all, believe it or not, you must remember that many people up to the very end did not know that Titanic was actually sinking. There was no intercom system that said that the ship was in trouble, the stewards just told everyone to get up top with their lifebelts. What does this mean to someone when they are on an "unsinkable ship"? I mean, it took about an hour to get the first lifeboat into the water. So, if people started to get ideas about making rafts by strapping deck chairs together, it may have been too late to really start on the project.
The reason is that ship
has a purpose".

Sir Winston Churchill

www.mrmarshall.proboards62.com
Posted on: 2007/3/23 14:44
  •  Esme
      Esme

From Manchester,England
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DANNYJ wrote:
Quote:

Kathi wrote:
I think he'll change his mind soon. He's only eleven now. I can remember the boys in my class at the age of eleven --- They thought all the girls were stupid, silly and so on... He'll think about girls differently when he's older. (I hope so.)

Actually. I already have some girlfriends. Its just that ALOT OF MEN DESERVED TO LIVE TO YA KNOW!

A lot of third class women and children deserved to live too.
The men gave up their lives because of a thing called CHIVALRY.
Look it up.
Posted on: 2007/3/26 17:06
  •  Captain Dan
      Captain Dan

From Maryland, United States
Group:
Registered Users
What would I do? Interesting. Put on my life jacket and try to squeeze through a porthole. Otherwise, try to find a creative way up top of the ship, though if I did that, I'd have to share with the rest of my steerage lads and lassies.

Daniel
Posted on: 2007/3/29 23:49
  •  Mac G
      Mac G

From New York
Group:
Registered Users
If the crew could find a way through the boiler rooms, I'd try and follow them. Avoid any main passages to avoid suspicion. Now way, I'd settle for less.

"Yes, I wonder why a ship like that would want to fire a rocket?"

(A Night to Remember, Stone & Gibson)
Posted on: 2007/5/5 16:35
  •  Titanic98
      Titanic98

From
Group:
Registered Users
the bad thing about me is i can't swim!!!!!! in a past life if i was on TITANIC i'de would hope i could swim. and if i could i'de rescue everybody on the ship i could and keep diving to rescue more and after about an hour (took titanic 3 hours to sink) i'de go to the back of the boat and stay there and when the ship was up in the air i woulde do the same thing jack and rose did get on the very back! :D :)
Posted on: 2007/6/6 19:15
  •  Mrs. Andrews
      Mrs. Andrews

From Denmark
Group:
Registered Users
I would follow Captain Dan as he finds a way up top of the ship and then hope there will be any lifeboats left.
Posted on: 2007/6/8 10:20
  •  <3
      <3
Re: What would you do?

From
Group:
Registered Users
That's an amazing question! I'd probably look for a way out, commit suicide, or if I see a steward ask for help!!!

HOPE I DON'T DROWN!

Posted on: 2007/6/22 1:51
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.