Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  2 Votes
  •  Titanic_charlie
      Titanic_charlie
Re: How would you save Thomas Andrews?

From
Group:
Registered Users
I would probably would of said "its not your fault, you designed her with thicker steel, and twice the amount of lifeboats, your a good person, you deserve to have a chance too."and if i weren't trying to save someone else, i would stay with him, because he probably would of just looked at me, give me a sad smile, and then go back into his own little world.
Posted on: 2007/5/10 2:47
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  redairborne22
      redairborne22

From
Group:
Registered Users
Great point MGY. After thinking about it for awhile, I think it would depend on how Andrews got off the ship. I think he'd be villified (maybe not as much as Ismay) if he had stepped into a boat. On the other hand, if he'd survived on either of the collapsibles, he probably would have gotten off pretty easy compared to Ismay. As far as knowing the most about the damage though, I dunno. Initially upon his inspection, Andrews guessed Titanic only had an hour, maybe two to live, yet it stayed afloat quite a bit longer than that. I feel he could have clarified the discussion with Smith quite a bit. But how much of the damage to the ship did even Andrews not know about? Given the scenario presented, I'd have probably left Andrews alone and concentrated on saving myself. At that point there were only minutes left before the final plunge. He'd made up his mind, and there's no way you could force someone to try and survive in that water with only A and B floating around. Now if it was earlier in the evening, that might be a different story.
Posted on: 2007/5/10 3:13
  •  MGY Friend
      MGY Friend

From New Mexico, USA
Group:
Registered Users
redairborne22, you make a good point too about Andrews not knowing the extent of the damage. It would have been nice to have a few more "experts" on the ships construction to have survived (such as some men from the Gaurantee group from Harland and Wolff).

Interesting point you made about if Andrews survived on top of a collapsable (like Lightoller), he might not get persecuted.

But then again, we must remember Captain Turner of the Lusitania. He dove into the water when the bridge went under, survived, but was shunned there after. But then again, its the Captain, not the builder or owner of the shipping line.
The reason is that ship
has a purpose".

Sir Winston Churchill

www.mrmarshall.proboards62.com
Posted on: 2007/5/10 16:15
  •  Mac G
      Mac G

From New York
Group:
Registered Users
MGY--Interesting article. Yeah, I don't think Ismay put pressure on Smith. But we'll never know for sure. It doesn't seem to sound that way. At times, I do think he was treated like a boss rather than just a passenger.

"Yes, I wonder why a ship like that would want to fire a rocket?"

(A Night to Remember, Stone & Gibson)
Posted on: 2007/5/10 19:18
  •  Mrs. Andrews
      Mrs. Andrews

From Denmark
Group:
Registered Users
First of all, I like all your points here. And regarding to Ismay, no one of us know for sure what really happened on Titanic that night. We can only tell from what we've heard and read and then we can look critically at it. Maybe he put pressure on Smith, maybe not. The main thing is that there happened something really bad that night, something which shouldn't have happened..

Back to topic:
titanic_charlie...
Quote:

titanic_charlie wrote:
I would probably would of said "its not your fault, you designed her with thicker steel, and twice the amount of lifeboats, your a good person, you deserve to have a chance too."and if i weren't trying to save someone else, i would stay with him, because he probably would of just looked at me, give me a sad smile, and then go back into his own little world.

...I like your way of looking at things. Very beautiful.
Posted on: 2007/5/11 13:05
  •  Captain Dan
      Captain Dan

From Maryland, United States
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mac G wrote:
Good point. I don't think it would have been as extreme. Ismay, OWNED the Titanic's company of the White Star line. So really he owned the ship along with Lord Pierre and JP Morgan. Andrews was a builder in the Harland and Wolff Shipyards. It's hard to say, but I don't see him as being accused like Ismay. Ismay's problem came in really that he "persuaded" Captain Smith to run her full steam when it was dangerous. Then bailed in the end.

That is what Ismay was accused of, but from everything I've read, it does not seem to have been the case. He was also accused of jumping into the lifeboat with women and children, but I do recall that that was not the case either.

One thing for Andrews, Harland and Wolff never claimed that the ship was unsinkable. Nor do I recall that the White Star Line did either. But when Titanic was dubbed unsinkable in the papers, nobody at White Star made any statements to the contrary and, to a certain extent, allowed the notion to be perpetuated.

One can hardly blame them in hindsight; the notion of such a vessel sinking on her maiden voyage was highly unlikely. Yet the Titanic was the victim of the highly unlikely.

Daniel
Posted on: 2007/5/11 13:48
  •  MGY Friend
      MGY Friend

From New Mexico, USA
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
One thing for Andrews, Harland and Wolff never claimed that the ship was unsinkable. Nor do I recall that the White Star Line did either. But when Titanic was dubbed unsinkable in the papers, nobody at White Star made any statements to the contrary and, to a certain extent, allowed the notion to be perpetuated.

Wasn't it "The Shipbuilder" magazine that first labeled the ships as "practically unsinkable" in its article on the Olympics? And from there, the word "practically" was dropped?
The reason is that ship
has a purpose".

Sir Winston Churchill

www.mrmarshall.proboards62.com
Posted on: 2007/5/11 15:17

From The Sea
Group:
Registered Users
I would first ty to persuade him * like for a minute* and then If he wont listen i knock him out. *he wouldn't feel it* Bring him to dewck. if no life boats I would find any Debre or broken pieces of large wood and put us both on it.
Posted on: 2007/5/11 15:43
  •  redairborne22
      redairborne22

From
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah MGY, I'm pretty sure you're right. And it seems everyone's making pretty good points here. As far as Andrews state of mind though, think about this. Have you ever worked SO hard at something, for it to be so beautiful, so perfect, and realize it's sinking beneath your feet? The closest thing I could even imagine is finally getting that dream car you always wanted and worked for, just to have it totalled through no fault of your own a few days later. (Or maybe I'm just talkin' out my bum here...I AM pretty tired...lol)
Posted on: 2007/5/11 20:05
  •  Mac G
      Mac G

From New York
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah....I do recall hearing that no one on the White Star Line saying she was unsinkable. Thomas Andrews obviously could have told us she wasn't. I'm curious to see what what said amongst Ismay, Andrews, and Smith. I know they portray him in most of the movie "But this ship can't sink." I felt it was someone dumb blaming Ismay or Lightoller for living. I guess the one true fault was just the rotten luck that she would be steaming 23 knots into an ice field.

"Yes, I wonder why a ship like that would want to fire a rocket?"

(A Night to Remember, Stone & Gibson)
Posted on: 2007/5/11 21:04
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.