Main Menu
Recent News
Latest Articles
Random photos

Titanic.com - Titanic News, Photos, Articles & Research | Forum Index
   Titanic news
  Do you think that they will ever try to re-create a functioning version of titanic

Browsing this Thread:   560 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

•  Rate Thread
      Rate this Thread
      Excellent
      Good
      Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  7 Votes
Re: Do you think that they will ever try to re-create a functioning version of titanic

From
Group:
Registered Users
I agree on the idea if it were to happen that way but again the cost of coal would be to much in the long run.I would like to see a replica of the Titanic built but to use it as part of a museum another words having people board the titanic take a tour of it.It would make money and save money as well but won't be running.What do you think of that idea?
Posted on: 2008/6/19 17:00
Create PDF from Post Print
Re: Do you think that they will ever try to re-create a functioning version of titanic

From
Group:
Registered Users
I have never heard of that foundation when did it start?
Posted on: 2008/6/19 17:06

From
Group:
Registered Users

From
Group:
Registered Users

From
Group:
Registered Users
I agree....
Posted on: 2008/6/19 17:09
  •  Revolutionarythought
      Revolutionarythought

From
Group:
Registered Users
Greetings. I just wanted to chime in quickly here. I doubt a functioning "exact replica" of the Titanic could ever be built.

For one thing, ship building has changed considerably since the beginning of the 20th century. Ships are no longer riveted together, and I doubt a riveted construction would even pass code for certification as a passenger vessel.

Basically the whole ship would have to be redesigned to meet modern safety standards. Wood paneling would be a no-no, so that would all have to be faked.

You'd need to extend bulkheads fully, which would mean that the rooms on your replica would never match. You'd need a sprinkler system, and you'd never, EVER be able to burn coal in a way that Titanic did.

Something like Titan groups plans are more likely, though this seems almost impossible as well. The construction of the QM2 cost very close to a billion dollars. I'm not sure where this kind of money would come from to complete the Titan project.

-S
Posted on: 2008/6/28 10:24

From
Group:
Registered Users
No.... I don't think they will not the way the economy is right now it's bad very bad and I don't think they really have the funds to do it with.Think of the man hrs. putting into building the ship that's a lot of money plus the equipment and supplies.No.. I don't see it happenning anytime.
Posted on: 2008/6/28 21:23
  •  Revolutionarythought
      Revolutionarythought

From
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bluemax45 wrote:
I agree on the idea if it were to happen that way but again the cost of coal would be to much in the long run.I would like to see a replica of the Titanic built but to use it as part of a museum another words having people board the titanic take a tour of it.It would make money and save money as well but won't be running.What do you think of that idea?

You simply couldn't burn coal in the same way the Titanic did. First there are are treaties limiting the amount and types of emissions that are produced by sea vessels. You'd have a very difficult time getting an exact copy of the Titanic registered as a passanger vessel, and you'd have trouble getting it allowed into certain ports of call.

On top of that, there are laws now regulating work safety for those working on ships. I find it doubtful that you'll be able to build a ship exactly like the Titanic, then be permitted to hire people to shovel loose coal into boilers. This seems extremely unlikely.

-S
Posted on: 2008/6/28 21:24
  •  Revolutionarythought
      Revolutionarythought

From
Group:
Registered Users
Update on the costs for building a large modern ocean liner. The QM2 cost 550 million British pounds to build. This puts the price of her somewhere around 1.1 billion US dollars.

This is why I question whether or not the Titan foundation can actually come up with the funding for their ship.
Posted on: 2008/6/28 21:28
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
The man that was involved in that he only got as far as haveing a painting made of her entering new york harbour for the first time. Aswell with the ss Titan project ive heard that saying allready and thers nothing special on ther website sadely. Aswell with the currntent credit cruch things are going down hill as the econermy booming is slowing down look an usa for instance and her in england diseal is £1.32 per liter which is really expensive than it used to be along with the prince of petrol the things are that the more expensive it gets the worst the econemey will look
Posted on: 2008/7/10 12:10
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.