Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread
Re: Water-tight Compartments

From
Group:
Registered Users
This is an interesting discussion and I only wish I had more time to contribute, as there seems to be some considerable confusion about some aspects.

Quote:

titanicboss wrote:
the titanic by rights shouldnt have snapped in half but this was beacuse of a design floor. called the expansion joint between funnel number 3 and four which on the britannic the titanic's sister ship she is a whloe ship her expansion joint was changed right at the start after the titanic incident as harland and wolff relized they weas something wrong with the expansion joint as it was crudly built and had a major design floor.

This is simply not true and I have already explained that on another thread on this forum. The evidence suggests that H&W were aware that the design could be improved, and were making those changes prior to Titanic's loss. That's the process of refinement and improvement, just as Titanic's B-deck suites were expanded and the A-deck promenade enclosed.

http://www.markchirnside.co.uk/Olympic-Titanic_expansionjoints-achillesheel-_myth.html

You know, it's a shame the documentary makers seemed to be unaware of that.

Unfortunately, the myth that the expansion joints caused the ship to break apart is a persistent one, even if it has no basis in reality.

Quote:
the cunard pari didnt have expansion joint.

Again, as I explained to you on this forum before, Lusitania, Mauretania and Aquitania all had expansion joints to a very similar design as Olympic's.

Quote:
The titanic had many design floors for one they didnt cap the top of the bulkheads to make them completly water tight meaning once the water get to a certain point it is able to flow over into the next bulkhead and major floor in the design.

The absense of a watertight deck is not necessarily a design flaw. It's a matter of choice. As regards water flowing over bulkheads, it is true that the watertight subdivision was overwhelmed. However, that was because the damage was simply too severe for the ship to survive. Olympic survived the Hawke collision perfectly well in 1911, despite severe and extensive flooding.

Best wishes,

Mark.
Posted on: 2008/2/14 15:32
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Re: Water-tight Compartments
Guest_Anonymous
Hi mark

thank you for fixing my errors no one can be perfect in rember all facts even you as an author can say that.

i glad you helped its all the documents recently lol anyway many thanks
Posted on: 2008/2/18 19:20
Create PDF from Post Print
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.