Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  MGY Friend
      MGY Friend
Re: Water-tight Compartments

From New Mexico, USA
Group:
Registered Users
Mac, I was hoping someone else could explain this to you, because I'm not really sure of the answer.

I think there were watertight doors above the waterline, such as on F Deck for example.

On Marconigraph.com, in the article: James Cameron’s Titanic Expedition 2001: What We Saw On and Inside the Wreck

"These lowest of the first-class public rooms, on F Deck, were, as I said, high on our list of priorities to explore. I had surveyed the portholes to the Swimming Bath from Mir 2 and found a few of them to be almost entirely clear of rusticles. If an ROV could get in there, we would pour as much additional light in through the unobscured ports as we could from Mir 2. Our access to this room, however, was in question as there is a watertight door between it and the first-class stairs and between it and the Turkish Bath, both of which we expected to be closed".

However, I do not think I have ever seen a picture of a watertight door other than the ones in the boiler rooms.
The reason is that ship
has a purpose".

Sir Winston Churchill

www.mrmarshall.proboards62.com
Posted on: 2008/2/7 22:40
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Mac G
      Mac G
Water-tight Compartments

From New York
Group:
Registered Users
I have read a few articles on the matter. I just want to clear up something...I have read that the water-tight doors stopped water from rising. However, they were not placed high enough....which caused a problem. My question is that I see how underwater the water-tight doors would close in the cargo holds, boiler rooms, engine rooms....But what about when that compartment fills? Would it not just rise to G Deck where it could spread. Unless the bulkheads had open and closing doors that are water-tight? If anyone knows, please let me know. Thanks.

"Yes, I wonder why a ship like that would want to fire a rocket?"

(A Night to Remember, Stone & Gibson)
Posted on: 2008/2/3 3:12
Create PDF from Post Print
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.