•  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Re: Ship of Lost Dreams
Guest_Anonymous
cool lightholler

Quote:

Lightholler wrote:
Hi all,

Just from reading a lot of the posted views I have to say that a lot of people have the vision of the Titanic as a dream cruise ship. This couldn't be further form the truth. The 'Titanic' was commissioned as an emigrant transport liner. That fatal night when the Titanic sank, however, is not commonly remembered as the night hundreds of emigrants died.

It's remembered by many for the gentlemen who were 'ready to go down in dressed in their finest clothes', the still calm sea, the clear starry sky, natures victory over man and the end to the maiden voyage of the biggest ocean liner of the time. These images have all the hallmarks of a Greek tragedy and that's why so many millions of people are fascinated by the Titanic.

What must be remembered is that the hundreds of emigrants who perished were looked down upon by most of the first class aristocratic well to do passengers on that maiden voyage. All the ills of society at the time were reflected on board Titanic i.e. class distinction, mass emigration and the ignorance and arrogance of an all conquering industrialised age.

I am from the mid-west of Ireland from where 22 third class passengers and two second class passengers boarded the ship at Queenstown. Many of them were sailing to America to seek out a new life not to become a victim of the arrogance of man. All but four of these emigrants survived. I have had the pleasure of meeting relatives of these victims. The relatives, like me, admire the liner for its grandeour but are equally aware of the social injustices committed on it.

Many other emigrant registered ships and liners sank before and after 1912 but none have been documented more that the Titanic. Why? Because the ship represented all aspects of western society at the time. The dreams and hopes carried by those emigrants should be remembered and admired a lot more than the 66,000 tonnes of steel lying at the bottom of the Atlantic with the lost fortunes of the Guggenheim/Astor types.

Lightholler :(
Posted on: 2004/12/23 6:15
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  first_matey
      first_matey
Re: Ship of Lost Dreams

From
Group:
Registered Users
I believe that the main reason that Titanic was remembered more than most is because it was:
1)The Biggest
2)The Fastest
3)The Most Luxurious
4)On it's maiden voyage
5)"Unsinkable"
Just my 2 cents worth
Posted on: 2004/12/23 23:55
Re:

From Santo domingo,DR and New york
Group:
Registered Users
The titanic will always be remember as a ship of dreams or a imigration ship beacase most of third class passager that travel on the titanic was getting a new life in America.
Posted on: 2004/12/24 7:14
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.