Main Menu
Recent News
Latest Articles
Random photos

Titanic.com - Titanic News, Photos, Articles & Research | Forum Index
   Titanic historic
  Did they sink titanic to make form the insurance?

Browsing this Thread:   15 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

•  Rate Thread
      Rate this Thread
      Excellent
      Good
      Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  rose89
      rose89

From somewhere deep down
Group:
Registered Users
i'll have to think about that.
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world."
~ ~
http://profiles.myspace.com/users/12108709
Posted on: 2004/8/25 2:06
Create PDF from Post Print

From
Group:
Registered Users
Mark use your head your feets for dancing if i had known that sure then i wouldnt have posted the question in would I?I think that it would be more helpful of you to state where you came across this information instead of trying to be a cleaver dick.
Posted on: 2004/8/25 10:47

From
Group:
Registered Users
Mark very sorry i read your post wrong i thought that you were trying to be a funny boy.So please dont take it badly i made a mistake.And now im trying to make ammends.
Posted on: 2004/8/25 10:52

From
Group:
Registered Users
We've put our misunderstanding behind us, privately.

So to continue the debate, it's my personal opinion that Titanic would not have been sunk for the insurance. If the WSL had planned to sink her, then I think they would have insured her for the full value, rather than know that they would loose 302243500,000 -- one third of the ship's value. This is where I feel Robin Gardiner's conspiracy theory falls down.

Best,

Mark.
Posted on: 2004/8/25 11:14
  •  Rosie1912
      Rosie1912

From
Group:
Registered Users
I read recently on another board someone claimed it was the OLYMPIC that was sunk due to insurance reasons due to it having hit the HMS Hawke and being so badly damaged and the Titanic and Olympic were privatly switched while in Dock. So it's actually the Olympic at the bottom of the sea. The person said it's the Olympic because of the Propeller number..

Not that I believe any of it ofcourse but since we were on the topic of sinking for insurance..thoughts anyone?
Posted on: 2004/8/25 12:11

From
Group:
Registered Users
Hi

[quote:8875716bb1]Not that I believe any of it ofcourse but since we were on the topic of sinking for insurance..thoughts anyone?[/quote:8875716bb1]

My own thoughts are that if the WSL swapped the ships (which I think was impossible), then they were prepared to loose 302243500,000 and much goodwill from the travelling public. So Olympic would have to damaged far, far, far worse than she actually was in 1911. The surveyor's reports state that the Olympic's hull was only penetrated by eight feet.

It's amazing how far this conspiracy theory has travelled, hasn't it?

Best regards,

Mark. :)
Posted on: 2004/8/25 12:40

From
Group:
Registered Users
Mark ive never heard of Robin Gardiner's thats the stuff i want to be reading were and how can i find that sort of thing and if im allowed to ask whats your book about? Is it fact or conspiracy theory or what.
Ps just for the record its very good that you forgive me for misreading your posting and for my reply id just like to say how sorry i am once more.
Posted on: 2004/8/25 13:49

From
Group:
Registered Users
Hi!

If I remember rightly, a key part of Gardiner's theory regarded the insurance. He has written several books, see the review at the bottom of this webpage:

http://titanicbooksite.com/GardinerRobin.html

My own opinion is that the theory's rubbish. I know that is an opinion shared by many people. I felt myself honoured to be asked to contribute to another book rebutting Gardiner's theory, which is at:

http://titanicbooksite.com/hall_steve.html

>>if im allowed to ask whats your book about? Is it fact or conspiracy theory or what.<<

Of course you can ask! :) My first book is about all three Olympic class ships -- I've always found it amazing that there is so much emphasis on the Titanic's luxury, but not much has been written about the Olympic and her popularity. I'd be happy to sign one for you as you asked. It is not a conspiracy book, just a retelling of their lives with some new unpublished information and a few unpublished photos. Nothing special.

(Jelle, I've told my publisher to contact you and your website about your proposal, once the book has gone on sale next month. If you don't hear from them please contact me and I will be happy to try and sort something out. My apologies for the delay. I'm the last to know myself. :? )

>>id just like to say how sorry i am once more.<<

Don't worry about it. We all make mistakes, and it was very good of you to apologise, and so quickly.

Kindest regards,

Mark.
Posted on: 2004/8/25 14:02
  •  Rosie1912
      Rosie1912

From
Group:
Registered Users
Ohh I too would be interested in your book Mark. I believe I read a bit about it over at T-T?? I'm always interested in adding more books to my ever growing Titanic collection.

How much will it retail for and how will one be able to obtain a copy?

Isn't Robin Gardiner the author of "Riddle of the titanic" or something to that effect?? I personally don't have the book but have seen it and been tempted to buy it.
Posted on: 2004/8/25 15:20

From
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the interest! It's on Amazon, or I am going to sell some copies on e-bay in September depending on the interest shown. Or, if you contact me privately once it's published I'd be happy to take a cheque or paypal and sign one for you.

Robin Gardiner was indeed the co-author of 'Riddle...' The bits that don't deal with the conspiracy are the best bits. :?

Best wishes,

Mark.
Posted on: 2004/8/25 16:25
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.