Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  Rosie1912
      Rosie1912

From
Group:
Registered Users
But Mark, if the boat deck were to collapse and the B deck is indeed stronger as you say it is, wouldn't the pressure of the boat deck collapsing therefor make the B deck collapse and so forth??
Posted on: 2004/9/1 14:03
Create PDF from Post Print

From
Group:
Registered Users
[quote:2b71d88245="Rosie1912"]But Mark, if the boat deck were to collapse and the B deck is indeed stronger as you say it is, wouldn't the pressure of the boat deck collapsing therefor make the B deck collapse and so forth??[/quote:2b71d88245]

Hi!

B-deck would certainly be damaged. It's not an area of interest for me, but I would [b:2b71d88245]speculate[/b:2b71d88245] that the deterioration is more due to the material dissolving. So the deterioration of the ship's upperworks would not have such a serious effect on the lower part of the ship as might be thought. Material would collapse, but material dissolving would be a part. That's my feeling -- I may be wrong since I haven't studied it in any detail or done any real research.

For the main part, if we're talking about the damage caused by the iceberg then I'd opine that the lower part of the hull would last much longer than the upperworks.

Best regards,

Mark.
Posted on: 2004/9/1 14:28

From
Group:
Registered Users
Mark if it implodes in on herself will that make this area most excessable to get at or even harder?
Posted on: 2004/9/1 14:37

From
Group:
Registered Users
[quote:7a83f29f80="colliewobbles"]Mark if it implodes in on herself will that make this area most excessable to get at or even harder?[/quote:7a83f29f80]

Hi!

Even if the whole superstructure collapsed along with the hull aft of the first funnel, I don't see that this would alter how the bow is. The forecastle remains essentially unchanged from 1986.

Best,

Mark.
Posted on: 2004/9/1 15:30

From
Group:
Registered Users
thats a good thing then so all is not lost. Do you think that they will ever try to raise titanics sister ship ? Thats in shallow water and in better condition so i think but perhaps not like wee Rosie said in a posting else were even if these boats were brought up they wouldnt be safe to walk around and explore. Rosie if it wasnt you that said that please forgive me. you know me by now i get every thing back to front.
And i see you live in England have you went to that hotel that has been done out with the wood panellings of the ship they scrapped? Where is that do you know?
Posted on: 2004/9/1 16:02

From
Group:
Registered Users
[quote:7f85151fc0="colliewobbles"]thats a good thing then so all is not lost. Do you think that they will ever try to raise titanics sister ship ?[/quote:7f85151fc0]

I don't think that the Britannic will be raised. Her owner, Simon Mills, is opposed to raising her; the Greek Government also have a say since she is in Greek territorial waters.

[quote:7f85151fc0]And i see you live in England have you went to that hotel that has been done out with the wood panellings of the ship they scrapped? Where is that do you know?[/quote:7f85151fc0]

I have not been myself, but I have seen photographs. The hotel with Olympic panelling is at Alnwick, Northumberland. The hotel that is thought to contain panelling from the Britannic is the Billingham Arms Hotel.

Best regards,

Mark.
Posted on: 2004/9/1 16:18

From
Group:
Registered Users
Mark why does this bloke Simon own the ship did he find it and claim salvage rights if so then does titanic not belong to Doctor B
Posted on: 2004/9/3 12:43
  •  ImaTitanicluvr
      ImaTitanicluvr

From
Group:
Registered Users
they might be able to tell who was who by seeing who touched the railing at the stern end of the ship. Those people who died that night did touch the railing.

-Tracy Byrd, song title is Keeper of the Stars
Picture of Tracy v
Posted on: 2004/9/8 23:55

From
Group:
Registered Users
Please explain young fella i have not a clue what your trying to say here so if you dont mind please have another go to try and clear things up.
Posted on: 2004/9/9 14:22
  •  xlostxboix
      xlostxboix
Re:

From Nebraska
Group:
Registered Users
Its har to say whether or not you could still find remeins or any way to find out who the people were. One thing is that the salt water i think would eat away at the bones and stuff a lot more quickly than just normal decomposing. But then with all the modern technology and stuff who knows what they could do.
Posted on: 2005/6/6 16:45
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.