Main Menu
Recent News
Latest Articles
Random photos

Titanic.com - Titanic News, Photos, Articles & Research | Forum Index
   Titanic historic
  Who is most responsible for loss of life?

Browsing this Thread:   8 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

•  Rate Thread
      Rate this Thread
      Excellent
      Good
      Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
whose fault was
Guest_Anonymous
I think it was the near the titanic :wink: :?: :?: :?: :twisted: :twisted: :!: :!: :!: [/b]
Posted on: 2003/7/30 17:47
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Squall
      Squall

From Near London, England
Group:
Registered Users
Although it would have been difficult seeing as they didn't expect anyting like this to happen, they should have planned a better evacuation plan because the officers (People that loaded the escape boats) should have been better organised!

So I think that it was probably the captain's thought because he should have prepared his staff for this situation.

Would this have been the captain's job?
Posted on: 2003/8/24 3:14
  •  Digiteen
      Digiteen
There are a few!

From Isle of Wight, England
Group:
Registered Users
I think that there are a few things to blame for it to happen:

1: The main desinger himself, he only put the few lifeboats that were on the ship for show!
2: Ismay, he ordered most of the lifeboats to be lowered with hardly any of its full capacity on them (eg. 28 instead of 64)
3: Fred Fleet, the one in the crows nest. On the night he didn't have his "Binocs" as he called them.
4: Captain Smith, he wasn't taking the messages seriously at all; I guess he though it was true that she was dubbed 'unsinkable'.
5: The passengers, some weren't listening to the messages at all. There was one First Class passenger (I can't remember her name but she was rather famous on her) who, before entering a lifeboat, went down to her cabin to pack and lock all of her possessions because she didn't trust the crew. Some other First Classers went to their cabins too to take their belongings with them; That slowed them down so much that by the time they were finished, it was too late ! Others new the ship was sinking but they didn't care, more than 100 went back to their Smoking Lounges to deal some cards and gamble one last time!! :shock:
6: Crew, for some strange reason they locked the Third Class passengers in every night so they had no hope of escaping.

So if you ask me, it was almost the whole ship's fault! :mrgreen:
Posted on: 2003/8/25 13:46
  •  Will
      Will
Re: There are a few!

From
Group:
Registered Users
[quote:f3664941a3="Digiteen"]I think that there are a few things to blame for it to happen:

1: The main desinger himself, he only put the few lifeboats that were on the ship for show!
2: Ismay, he ordered most of the lifeboats to be lowered with hardly any of its full capacity on them (eg. 28 instead of 64)

6: Crew, for some strange reason they locked the Third Class passengers in every night so they had no hope of escaping.

So if you ask me, it was almost the whole ship's fault! :mrgreen:[/quote:f3664941a3]

The lifeboats that were placed on the Titanic were those required by the law, plus the four collapsibles that were added. Originally they had planned for more, however they decided that the deck looked too 'cluttered'. They were, however, within the rules of the day, outmoded as they were.
My. Ismay could not be everywhere at once, and on one occasion he was rebuffed by the Fifth Officer and told that he should go away and leave them alone. While one officer loaded boats on the starboard side, another loaded boats on the port side and the two never conferred concerning the passenger loading, as records record that women and children only were loaded on one side, while couples were loaded on the other.
The segregation of the third class passengers (day and night) was due to the rules regarding infectious disease and the ships either had to segregate the third class passengers or the entire ships company would have to be quarantined pending the medical inspections of all aboard. Keeping the third class passengers seperate allowed the first class, second class and all the ships complement (working people) to disembark as soon as they arrived in port, otherwise they faced an additional 14 days aboard.
Will
Posted on: 2003/9/27 17:04
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.