Excellent
      Good
      Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  8 Votes
  •  edward9139
      edward9139
Re: Not the Titanic but the Olympic sank !

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
ok
Posted on: 2005/3/21 18:55
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Johno
      Johno

From Scotland
Group:
Registered Users
Everyone should put more effort into posting, everyone is just writing one worded posts

I have learned from those mistakes, lets get into the topic at hand
Posted on: 2005/3/21 19:48
  •  edward9139
      edward9139

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
the topic at hand is pointless. the olympic never sank. the titanic did
Posted on: 2005/3/21 21:43
  •  Johno
      Johno

From Scotland
Group:
Registered Users
It is not my duty to close topics, i am not the runner of this site.

This topic is been here for a while and ppl have tried to keep it going but there is not much to discuss. I understand your point edward, have you bought that book i gave you advice on to buy
Posted on: 2005/3/22 15:47
  •  edward9139
      edward9139

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
(pat) no i havn't had time to check the site. i think i will try next weekend
Posted on: 2005/3/22 19:47

From Temperance, Michigan
Group:
Registered Users
Titanic, Britannic, and Olympic's lenghts and widths were all EXACTLY the same. However, each ship was larger than its older sister because of it's weight. After Titanic sank, both Olympic and Britannic were outfitted with extended bulkheads (not all, just some), enough lifeboats for all and then some, and Britannic had the double hull bottom extended up the sides of the liner. As it's well known, the A deck Promenade was completely open until the early twenties, when it was then enclosed. Other differences were the arrangement of portholes along the C and D decks, Oly's dining room was not carpeted, where as Titanic's was. The theory that Titanic and Oly were swapped in an attempted insurance scam just doesn't hold water. No proof of this has ever been found, only suggestive theories of how it was done. As stated before, all hull numbers matched both ships. And for the record, the Olympic was scrapped in 1935 in Inverkeithing, Scotland, and there are pictures of her being towed and then being scrapped. Britannic sank in November of 1916 after striking a mine off the island of Kea. Ironically, with all the improvements made after her sisters disasterous maiden voyage, Brit sank in 55 minutes, where as it took Titanic 2 and a half hours to go down. I'm not saying it wasn't possible that the ships could have been swapped, but when you have a ship on the ocean floor bearing all the trademarks and namesakes of Titanic, and the interior workings of a ship named Olympic in a museum, and no solid proof of this scam, it just doesnt hold water.
Posted on: 2005/3/23 8:03

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
That is true about the weight, but Britannic was Wider, it is an establoshed fact, have a look at the plans.
Posted on: 2005/3/23 18:15
  •  Johno
      Johno

From Scotland
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CQDMGY1912 wrote:
Titanic, Britannic, and Olympic's lenghts and widths were all EXACTLY the same. However, each ship was larger than its older sister because of it's weight. After Titanic sank, both Olympic and Britannic were outfitted with extended bulkheads (not all, just some), enough lifeboats for all and then some, and Britannic had the double hull bottom extended up the sides of the liner. As it's well known, the A deck Promenade was completely open until the early twenties, when it was then enclosed. Other differences were the arrangement of portholes along the C and D decks, Oly's dining room was not carpeted, where as Titanic's was. The theory that Titanic and Oly were swapped in an attempted insurance scam just doesn't hold water. No proof of this has ever been found, only suggestive theories of how it was done. As stated before, all hull numbers matched both ships. And for the record, the Olympic was scrapped in 1935 in Inverkeithing, Scotland, and there are pictures of her being towed and then being scrapped. Britannic sank in November of 1916 after striking a mine off the island of Kea. Ironically, with all the improvements made after her sisters disasterous maiden voyage, Brit sank in 55 minutes, where as it took Titanic 2 and a half hours to go down. I'm not saying it wasn't possible that the ships could have been swapped, but when you have a ship on the ocean floor bearing all the trademarks and namesakes of Titanic, and the interior workings of a ship named Olympic in a museum, and no solid proof of this scam, it just doesnt hold water.

was do u mean, britanic was much wider than the other two, better check your findings CQDMGY1912
Posted on: 2005/3/23 19:27

From Temperance, Michigan
Group:
Registered Users
My mistake, in my hurry to type last night, i was thinking about Britannic, and it made it into my sentence there. Britannic, of course, was two feet wider than her older sisters. When the double bottom was extend up the sides, it did make her two feet wider. My mistake, and thank you for pointing that out.
Posted on: 2005/3/23 22:36
  •  edward9139
      edward9139

From New Hampshire
Group:
Registered Users
Man. you do learn something new everyday. especially on this site!
Posted on: 2005/3/26 12:30
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.