Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Re: White Star Liners Names
Guest_Anonymous
Hi, CaptainNemo,

No, a second Olympic has never been built but the Olympic was in service for White Star until 1935. Cunard White Star sold her in that same year and she spent the next 2 years being broken up.

Tom
Posted on: 2004/12/8 14:07
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Thats ok booty like me your getting old i can't remember what i did two days ago, no offence taken.Yes it was Bryan that suggested i join this site as i have recently got interested in Titanic it has always held a fascination for me and this site has certainly opened my eyes.Visited your site as well A1 ok keep it up.On this site you have posted a load of Photo's,any chance of you putting them on disc for me i will pay your expenses let me know you can tell Bryan if you can't reach me by land line Bryan has also got my mobile number see you around ,Neptune;got a date with a mermaid
Posted on: 2004/12/9 13:54
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Hey you old sea dog not so much of the old, you know what they say, your as old as you feel and when you stop feeling your to old, lol :pint:
Booty
Posted on: 2004/12/9 15:43
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Does anybody want any more information on White Star Line ships?

I'll try to post an extract on RMS Adriatic in the morning.

Tom
Posted on: 2004/12/9 22:28
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
RMS Adriatic:

Launched in 1906.

Her maiden voyage started on 8th May 1907 from Liverpool - New York, just like Titanic she was under the command of EJ Smith. On her return instead of landing at Liverpool she landed at Southampton.

When Adriatic left Southampton on 5th June 1907 it made her the first White Star ship to depart from Southampton.

In 1911 she returned back to Liverpool due to Olympic coming into service.

She then returned back to Southampton in 1919 until 1922 when she again returned back to Liverpool.

From 1926 she was used only as a cruise ship and in in 1928 she was converted to cabin class.

When Cunard and White Star merged in May 1934 it was decided that it was the end for Adriatic, so after that years cruise season finished she was laid up and sold for scrap.

Please only reproduce what I have written..if you add at the end of it: Source: © Thomas Dyer.

Tom
Posted on: 2004/12/12 23:20
  •  Michelle8
      Michelle8

From
Group:
Registered Users
Im sorry Tom but you are wrong by saying the Britanic was scrapped in 1960. Britanic was a hospital ship during the war. It sank November 21 1916 in 55 minutes. Robert Ballard and his team went down to investigate it. To this day no one knows what sank the Britanic but they know it was either a mine or a torpedo from a German subemerine.
Posted on: 2004/12/13 0:38
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Hi, Michelle8,

Titanic's sister Britannic was the second ship of that name for the White Star Line and the one I mentioned was the third.

Tom
Posted on: 2004/12/13 0:50
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
MV Britannic (3):

The MV Britannic which was a state of the art ship of her time and a new modern type of ship for the White Star Line, was launced on August 6th 1929 at Harland and Wolff, Belfast, UK.

Britannic was the slightly older sister ship of the last ever ship built for the White Star Line, Georgic.

Britannic started her maiden voyage from Liverpool - New York on 28th June 1930.

Britannic had accommodation for cabin, tourist and third class passengers.

After Cunard and White Star merged in May 1934, like all Cunard and White Star ships, Britannic flew both the Cunard and White Star flag (the white star flag on top).

In August 1939 she become a troop transport until 1947, by the end of the war she had transported over 180,000 troops and had gone 376,000 miles.

After she was returned to Cunard White Star in March 1947, she was given a refit at Liverpool before being returned to service.

Britannic was used to make cruises between New York and the Caribbean during the winter.

By 1960 Britannic was an old ship and the last White Star ship in service for the by then Cunard line, so on 11th November 1960 the last white star ship to fly the White Star flag left Liverpool for New York for one last voyage and just 2 days after she returned she was sold for scrap. - The White Star Line was no more and never again would a ship sail for the once mighty line.

Please only reproduce what I have written..if you add at the end of it: Source: © Thomas Dyer.

Tom
Posted on: 2004/12/13 14:52
  •  shkstephens
      shkstephens

From Nashville, Tennessee (United States)
Group:
Registered Users
An excellent list of all of the ships can be found at: http://members.aol.com/wakkoW5/wsl-ships.html

I never knew there were so many ships!

Just thought you'd like to see the list.

Shari
Posted on: 2004/12/13 18:50
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Hi,

I'll try to post about them all at some point. I've already posted about Adriatic, Britannic (3) and Vedic in this topic.

Does anybody want information on any White Star ship now?

Tom
Posted on: 2004/12/13 19:26
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.