Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Titanics final resting place
Guest_Anonymous
Much has been argued about the sinking of the Titanic,but when the Royal Mail Steamer Titanic slid beneath the waves on april 15th, 1912,more than an "unsinkable" ship went down.
An age of ostentatious and arogant worship of wealth also began a fast slide into oblivion.It was an end of the golden age when faith that money could fix anything and that man had conquered nature was confounded when the sea swallowed the proudest ship afloat,and to coin a phrase, from Humpty Dumpty"all the kings horses could'nt bring her back". An epitaph for this arrogant era was mouthed by one of the crew" Lady, God himself could'nt sink this ship".Titanic,whose very name rang with invincibilty,thus became a symbol.Her sudden disappearance enhanced an already mythical reputation.
There are those who would raise her.Massive ammounts of money might make it possible.but the state she is now in what would be the purpose ? The band won't start playing again,the golden era won't rise with her.So let us leave her and those who died with her in peace.

Your views on this would be welcomed;

Posted on: 2004/11/24 13:50
Create PDF from Post Print
Re: Titanics final resting place

From Nairobi, Kenya
Group:
Registered Users
yeah it was truly the end of a golden era of master ship bulding

well said

:hammer: :pint:
Posted on: 2004/12/2 10:05
  •  Icestar
      Icestar

From Helsinki, Finland
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with mr. Booty that Titanic should rest in her grave with all the passengers she took with her, but what about the new Titanic 2.? Should it be build or not? In my opinion it would be just another way to try to bring back the actual ship and a part of the era, but as we have seen in numerous occasions it is not going to work or it could work for a while, but eventually get boring. When you understand why that era has disappeared, you'll understand why Titanic shouldn't be rebuilt or raised from the oceanfloor. In fact it's very interesting to ask oneself why Titanic is so famous compared to Imperator for excample. Maybe the huge tragedy has made her last so long in our memories, or the mystery about her final resting place.
l
Posted on: 2004/12/2 18:49
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Hi Icestar, i agree with your comments completely,she should definately be left where she has come to rest.
I think that in 1912 there was so much hype about her ie;being so luxurious and virtualy "unsinkable.That when she did sink it shook the worlld to its very foundations,People just could,nt imagine an unsinkable ship actually sinking.I think it is the amount of publicity it gained at the time that has kept the story alive all these years.And no doubt the sinking will be debated for many years to come.Incidently there is a site devoted to the history of Titanic and Harland and Wolff,it is only in its early stages at present but it appears to be growing,it can be found at http://freewebs.com/whitestar-titanic
Quote:

Icestar wrote:
I agree with mr. Booty that Titanic should rest in her grave with all the passengers she took with her, but what about the new Titanic 2.? Should it be build or not? In my opinion it would be just another way to try to bring back the actual ship and a part of the era, but as we have seen in numerous occasions it is not going to work or it could work for a while, but eventually get boring. When you understand why that era has disappeared, you'll understand why Titanic shouldn't be rebuilt or raised from the oceanfloor. In fact it's very interesting to ask oneself why Titanic is so famous compared to Imperator for excample. Maybe the huge tragedy has made her last so long in our memories, or the mystery about her final resting place.
l
Posted on: 2004/12/3 14:14
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Hi Booty, Just read you piece here,very apt and good as are your photo's but as you know i have a lot of photo's that you have been after for years.make it worth my while and you can have them or shall i submit them myself.? by the way had a peek at your site coming along nicely is'nt it keep it up. be in touch at weekend, :pint: :pint: :pint: :pint: Neptune in davy Jones locker
Posted on: 2004/12/3 14:29
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Hi Neptune you old sea dog, you have been promising me those photo's for years.Not to worry if you don't want me to have them ok go ahead and post them yourself.I was going to swop them with my aviation photo's you want but never mind we might strike a deal at the weekend.
Booty demon of the deep
Posted on: 2004/12/3 14:48
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
hi there just logged in, why not make a Titanic 2, i for one would love to sail on her.
Posted on: 2004/12/3 20:48

From Tallmadge, Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
I don't know how many people are going to ask this before actually thinking about it. Who would make it? How would they afford it? It would cost millions if not billions of dollars. I don't know of a company that could take on that sort of project.

My Website.. Titanic: Truth, Myths and Legends
Posted on: 2004/12/4 14:32
  •  my_immortal
      my_immortal

From texas
Group:
Registered Users
im sure there is some company or some corporation somewhere in the world that could fund it......i mean, it was done once......
Posted on: 2004/12/13 9:48
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Gosh for one minute i thought it was a new post from booty,but sadly i was wrong.Does any one out there know whats happened to him, Nemo
Posted on: 2004/12/13 12:48
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.