Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread
Re: Four Funnels as opposed to Three

From
Group:
Registered Users
Hi!

With regard to the number of funnels, I've never seen a reference specifically to the Cunarders. However, I would agree with a general perception that the 'first class' liners needed four funnels -- the Norrdeutscher Lloyd foursome had four funnels, as did the Cunard express ships. Has anyone a specific reference?

There is an interesting story dating from around 1913. A group of steerage travellers saw a photo of a four-funneled ship (Olympic) on a wall in the agent's office, and they insisted on travelling on that, instead of the three-stack liner. Obviously they felt it was safer and felt more comfortable. So the agent (for the three-funneled vessel) lied and said that it was really a five-stack ship, and that the two funnels had been taken down in the photo because New York taxed ships according to the number of funnels they had! Quite amusing! The gullible travellers changed ships!

Best wishes,

Mark.
Posted on: 2004/12/17 16:44
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Neptune,
You are not who you claim to be.I thought you was someone else i was wrong. Please in future don't make reference to me as though you know me as i have now learn't to my cost that you don't.booty
Posted on: 2004/12/17 14:13
  •  strider_uk
      strider_uk

From Bangor, Northern Ireland
Group:
Registered Users
Was it not because Cunard's Mauretania & Lusitania had four funnels, that prompted White Star to use four funnels on their new Olympic class ships, after all, their ships had to look equally big, if not bigger than their rivals?
Posted on: 2004/12/12 19:26
  •  Isambard
      Isambard

From
Group:
Registered Users
The fourth funnel, although a dummy put in place mainly for appearance, did serve a very real purpose. It was used to help give ventilation to the engine room. Deck plans show that it was mounted directly over and connected to the turbine engine casing.
Posted on: 2004/12/4 19:24
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Hi there,I think neptune was stating a fact rather than asking a question,as we have both visited the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum on no less than four occassions i think that neptune checks facts before posting them , as do i myself. No offence meant to anyone out there.
Posted on: 2004/12/4 15:51
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Hello neptune you old seadog have you been upsetting people already, I thought you new why Titanic had four funnels your explaination is factual so whats the problem.Don't forget my Photo's you promised.
Posted on: 2004/12/4 15:42
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Hi NosiRosie,
I was not asking why a fourth funnel was added i was stating a fact from The Ulster Folk and Transport Museaum educational pack.Also i made no rude comments but thanks for your reply and i understand what your saying.
Posted on: 2004/12/4 15:36

From
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
He knows, what i think we should do is collaborate on the subject for what is not known yet!
Posted on: 2004/12/4 15:18

From Tallmadge, Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
Well, thanks for the rude comments, but what I was asking was....does this man want to know why a dummy funnel was created in the fist place? Or, what it was used for after it was created? Because, although it wasn't really needed, it did serve as a purpose once it was made.

My Website.. Titanic: Truth, Myths and Legends
Posted on: 2004/12/4 15:08

From
Group:
Webmasters
Registered Users
Thanks for your comments, but from the previous posts, it is quite clear what it was supposed to be now isn't it?
Posted on: 2004/12/4 14:37
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.