Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Re: Was the Titanic and Olympic swapped
Guest_Anonymous
Hi Superbowl.
I have now submitted photo's of the damage to Olympic as you can see,"if you browse the photo gallery" that the damage was to the stern and propellers, in the account accompanying these photo's it mentions nothing about her breaking her back and as stated she was back in service in a very short time
Posted on: 2004/12/5 17:46
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
to be honest nobody alive today can be 100% positive that nothing was going on. personally i do think something was fishy. take the wreck itself. people said it sank whole and others said it broke up on the surface. answering your question the hawk was indeed designed to ram ships and sink them so it would have done alot more damage than the miner blow you mention.
Posted on: 2004/12/5 23:09
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
hi
thanks for your views. by the way have you watched the programe on sky one this evening about the myth
Posted on: 2004/12/5 23:11
  •  GooseGrl172
      GooseGrl172

From Maryland
Group:
Registered Users
<personally i do think something was fishy. take the wreck itself. people said it sank whole and others said it broke up on the surface.>

Have you ever been on the ocean at night? No moon? It's usually pitch black. You'll see the darkest night you ever saw sittin out on the ocean, cant even see your own hand in front of your face.

Jessica
Posted on: 2004/12/6 0:46
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
HI,
And yes i have been on the ocean at night. was in the Royal Navy. it wasnt the only reason they took so long to see it. the burg was a very dark colour suggesting it had recently turned over having the underwater part now on the surface full of water which would make it more difficult to see. :hammer:
Posted on: 2004/12/6 7:55
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Hi superbowl,
you certainly have your own idea of events but the following is an actual quote from records.
HMS Hawke was a twenty year old ship and was prehistoric by contempory standards,She had a top speed of 19.5 knots When the Olympic sighted her they were closing rapidly.The Olympic slow from 18 knots to 11, and swung to starboard and then signalling her intention with two blasts on her deep throated whistle.before this second turn the liner was presenting her port side to the Hawke.after the turn she now presented her starboard side to the Hawke bow at a rapidly closing range.As they converged the Hawke was travelling faster not having reduce any speed.and was set to pass the Olympic which was eight times her weight close on the staboard side.
The pilot on Olympic was concern and said to the Captain "i don't think she will miss our stern."
The Captain replied" yes Bowyer she is going to strike our stern."The order on Olympic rang out Hard a Port, but it was to late Hawke was now so close that a collision was unavoidable.The Hawke shifted as if to pass across the great liners wake but struck the stern Causing a gash and damage to the propellersThe impact was below the water line some 80 feet from the stern.

Visit http://freewebs.com/whitestar-titanic
Posted on: 2004/12/6 13:08
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Hi Jessica, i have to agree with you i was in the Royal Navy myself for 9 years and have had a cople of cruises on the Canberra, and what you are saying about the sea a night is true.Its a weird experience but even so you wonder whats out there.But its hard to imagine what the passengers on the Titanic must have seen if anything once they were adrift in their lifeboats.Quote:

GooseGrl172 wrote:
<personally i do think something was fishy. take the wreck itself. people said it sank whole and others said it broke up on the surface.

Have you ever been on the ocean at night? No moon? It's usually pitch black. You'll see the darkest night you ever saw sittin out on the ocean, cant even see your own hand in front of your face.

Jessica
Posted on: 2004/12/6 13:13
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Regarding your suggestion was the Titanic & Olympic switched.I think were this rumour started was in the press in 1912 when every paper was gagging to be first with the story and pictures of
Titanic leaving on her maiden voyage, Many of the press submitted photo's of the Olympic and claimed that they were the Titanic.I have 6 copies of papers from this erra which all back up this theory so please before you post comments do your homework and check thoroughly.
try http://freewebs.com/whitestar-titanic

Quote:

superbowl wrote:
hi
thanks for your views. by the way have you watched the programe on sky one this evening about the myth
Posted on: 2004/12/6 13:19
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Hello Booty,
Just read your post on the Hawke Striking Olympic,Very good i have read much the same report in a factual book i have well done on you descriptive piece.Incidently the hull numbers of Olympic and Titanic were as follows Olympic was 400 & Titanic 401.I always remember my Grandfather telling me years ago that it was hard to tell the two ships apart.And i think he new what he was talking about he worked in Southampton docks all his working life,and over the years has fascinated me with his stories.But to suggest they were swapped is rediculous.Think of the amount of people that would have had to have been in on the conspiracy to many i fear.But this Suggestion will be played with for many years to come.the only way to find out would be to go back in time,and like proving they were swapped is impossible.
Keep posting your in depth reports Neptune from davy jones locker.
Posted on: 2004/12/6 13:35
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Hello booty,
just visited that website you suggested,its very descriptive, but tell me one thing is it a site your building ?? as if it is i could PM you some useful material let me know.But as i say very good look forwrd to keeping up to date on it.if its not you site then who's ever it is carry on with the goodwork the more we learn the better. Neptune roving around the ocean floorQuote:

booty wrote:
Regarding your suggestion was the Titanic & Olympic switched.I think were this rumour started was in the press in 1912 when every paper was gagging to be first with the story and pictures of
Titanic leaving on her maiden voyage, Many of the press submitted photo's of the Olympic and claimed that they were the Titanic.I have 6 copies of papers from this erra which all back up this theory so please before you post comments do your homework and check thoroughly.
try http://freewebs.com/whitestar-titanic

Quote:

superbowl wrote:
hi
Posted on: 2004/12/6 15:26
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.