Main Menu
Recent News
Latest Articles
Random photos

Titanic.com - Titanic News, Photos, Articles & Research | Forum Index
   Titanic historic
  did the titanic sink in american waters?

Browsing this Thread:   5 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
  •  Rate Thread
      Rate this Thread
      Excellent
      Good
      Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
did the titanic sink in american waters?
Guest_Anonymous
I was just wondering this, because if it wasn't, how could an American court have the authority to give a company salvage rights over a part of the ocean it doesn't own?

If it was, then fair enough.

All speculation of course.
Posted on: 2003/6/29 3:56
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Mr. Titanic
      Mr. Titanic

From Albany, NY
Group:
Registered Users
This is a topic of debate on which country owns the area around the Titanic's resting place. It's think it's technically in international waters. I would say that since Newfoundland is the closest land mass, that the British theortically speaking own the ship since I BELIEVE that is a British providence. Anyone knowing better, please speak up and correct my guess.

I think it's a matter of claiming the rights to the Titanic. If the country that actually owns the wreck site doesn't object to the American courts, then there will be no debate or battles. The Americans and French were the first to find the wreck in 1985. Since then, the Russians and a few other American expeditions have dived on the wreck.

Of course, like you said, it's all speculation since I haven't heard much about this topic.
Posted on: 2003/7/13 16:34
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
well the ship sank in the atlantic ocean.,,, and i guess thats wclosest to britain.... and anywz most of the ppl that went on titanic were british so they proballly came from britian... so i guess it belonged more to britian.. but i might not be correct... but thats what i think
Posted on: 2003/7/17 19:50
  •  Will
      Will

From
Group:
Registered Users
For a close up look at Halifax and what is available for viewing at the final resting place of many of the people aboard the Titanic, see ...
http://titanic.gov.ns.ca/
... you may find the information there very interesting.
Will
Posted on: 2003/10/10 21:05
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
National waters are, by international treaty, set at three miles off any coastline, to be determined by treaty when said coastlines overlap. When the bodies of water are between two or three countries (the Great Lakes between the US and Canada, for example), the boundaries are halfway between the two nations. As [i:db105d2593]Titanic[/i:db105d2593] sank more than 3 miles off of any international boundary, she is international waters. This is why there was that trouble with the wreck pirates last year - the UN having, unfortunately, better things to do at the time.
Posted on: 2003/10/10 22:56
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.