Poster Thread
  •  devr
      devr
The Ship was Jinxed

From
Group:
Registered Users
Please read and tell me your thoughts.

"When anyone asks me how I can best describe my experience in nearly forty years at sea, I merely say, uneventful. Of course there have been winter gales, and storms and fog and the like. But in all my experience, I have never been in any accident ... or any sort worth speaking about. I have seen but one vessel in distress in all my years at sea. I never saw a wreck and never have been wrecked nor was I ever in any predicament that threatened to end in disaster of any sort." Captain Smith

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later a Elmer Taylor and his friend Fletcher Lambert Williams told how they had come into close proximity to the Captain that evening, and related that they were close enough to hear Captain Smith tell his party the ship could be cut crosswise in three places and each piece would float. "That remark confirmed my belief in the safety of the ship," said Taylor. Shortly before nine o'clock Smith excused himself for the evening and left for the bridge.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

“God Himself Could Not Sink This Ship”

Both the Titanic and her nearly-identical sister ship, the Olympic, were given names that evoked the gods. An editorial writer in the Belfast Morning News of 1 June 1911 wondered why the White Star Line had named its luxurious new ship Titanic:

The Titans were a mythological race who came to believe they’d conquered nature, who thought they’d achieved power and learning greater than Zeus himself, to their ultimate ruin. He smote the strong and daring Titans with thunderbolts; and their final abiding place was in some limbo beneath the lowest depths of the Tartarus, a sunless abyss below Hades.

Indeed, the opening of the twentieth century did find people feeling confident. The western world’s progression of technological miracles was well underway, and each new marvel added to the mood of power and optimism. On New Year’s Eve of 1899, the New York Times proclaimed: We step upon the threshold of 1900, which leads to the new century, facing a still bright dawn of civilization.” This sense of invincibility is reflected in the statement made by a crew member when the ship was being boarded at Southampton, England. A passenger enquired if the Titanic was, indeed, unsinkable. Replied the deck hand, “God Himself could not sink this ship.”

Captain Smith, if he had heard this remarkable assertion, would have had no reason to refute it. His career at sea (the Titanic’s maiden voyage was to be his final one, the culmination of a glorious career) had been notably accident-free; six years before the Titanic sailed, he had commented on his trip across the Atlantic on the Adriatic: >>>>>> “I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that.” <<<<<<< This supreme confidence was reinforced by an incident when Smith was at the helm of the Olympic some months before captaining the Titanic. A naval cruiser struck the Olympic, leaving a twenty-foot-wide gash in the starboard side. The cruiser was badly damaged. As for the Olympic, Smith said afterward that his ship’s frame “stood the shock well. There was no panic. Many passengers did not know there had been a collision, so slight was the shock felt . . . .The watertight doors, which automatically closed, held the compartments sealed.” Smith must have thought that these marvelous new liners really were unsinkable, and that would explain why he thought nothing of driving the Titanic at top speed into an ice field that other ships had warned him about.
Posted on: 2005/6/3 13:35
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  TippooTib
      TippooTib
Re: The Ship was Jinxed

From
Group:
Registered Users
>Please read and tell me your thoughts.

I don't understand why the subject matter of your posting suggests that the ship was 'jinxed.' What sort of mechanism causes a 'jinx' to work (if there really is such a thing, that is?)
Posted on: 2005/6/3 20:01
  •  devr
      devr

From
Group:
Registered Users
by jinx i mean like... they said so many good things about the ship that with such remarks they actually caused harm upon it.
Posted on: 2005/6/4 2:21
  •  xlostxboix
      xlostxboix

From Nebraska
Group:
Registered Users
i completely agree, everyone thought that the ship was so great, and that nothing could happen to it. But it was like they were all taught a lesson. like dont be so arrogant, or whatever.
Posted on: 2005/6/4 4:23
  •  TippooTib
      TippooTib

From
Group:
Registered Users
>they said so many good things about the ship that with such >remarks they actually caused harm upon it.

That's what I mean, though. How does saying good things about something cause bad things to happen? What mechanism causes that to take place? What causes you to think it's something other than just a coincidence? (I'm just curious.)
Posted on: 2005/6/4 9:44
  •  coolguy
      coolguy

From MY COMPUTER
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devr wrote:
by jinx i mean like... they said so many good things about the ship that with such remarks they actually caused harm upon it.
yeah i don't think it would have sank if they hadn't said all those things about it cause then the passengers would be more catious about it cause they would make it seem that you have to be careful
Posted on: 2005/6/4 17:54
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.