Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  1 Votes
How Could More Lives Be Saved?

From Ireland
Group:
Registered Users
Hey dudes and dudettes! I want to hear everyone's opinion on how more people could have survived the sinking. Apart from more lifeboats. Or else. *Shakes fist* Lol.

Killian,

- ???
Posted on: 2005/9/2 16:46
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Jillian
      Jillian
Re: How Could More Lives Be Saved?

From Small town in Manitoba, Canada
Group:
Registered Users
I don't know if they really did this in real life but they did on the movie so, the officers could have unlocked the gates in the hull of the ship so people could of at least had a chance to get on the lifeboats, which weren't being filled, instead of drowning helplessly in the ship's hull.
Posted on: 2005/9/2 16:50

From Tallmadge, Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
In the movie it was portrayed more as an act of hatred of lower class. In real life, that was done at first, to preserve order for a small amount of time so they could prepare the boats and figure out a game plan. Once panick started to take hold, it's sad, but they were simply forgotten about. The men up top who gave out orders got preoccupied with other things, which I think is understandable, and the men below were simply waiting for the order which never came. They were trained to do only what was ordered of them, so to be truthful, they thought they were doing things exactly by the book.

My Website.. Titanic: Truth, Myths and Legends
Posted on: 2005/9/5 14:51
  •  clinton
      clinton

From London UK
Group:
Registered Users
Would it not have helped if Smith transferred some of the passangers onto an iceberg of relative stable size? If you are on the ice and dry you should survive give or take a few frost bitten toes... But ending up in the water was a deathsentence for sure. They should have tried to ferry passangers to some field-ice by means of using the lifeboats and some makeshift ladders....Just a thought.
Posted on: 2005/9/5 19:15

From Crooksville,Ohio and Zanesville,Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
If the mysterie ship ,thought to be the Californian ,would have came to the Titanic's aid maybe Titanic herself could have been saved.
Posted on: 2005/9/5 21:29

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
how could it?
Posted on: 2005/9/6 13:56
  •  historybuff
      historybuff

From Illinois
Group:
Registered Users
There are many ways inwhich more lives could have been saved, such as people not being as arrogant about the ship being unsinkable, having more lifeboats instead of only enough for half of the crew, hitting the iceberg head on actually wouldn't have sunk the ship, so many things so little time.
The third class passengers were NOT locked in the bottom of the ship like the movie portrays. They were free to move about the ship. They were actually the first to know that something was wrong with the ship since they were at the lowest point of the ship, the scrapping of the ship was extremely loud to them and they ran up top to see what had happened and found large pieces of ice on deck that they started throwing at each other.
Posted on: 2005/9/7 2:26
  •  Jillian
      Jillian

From Small town in Manitoba, Canada
Group:
Registered Users
Well, you know what, I don't think anybody really has the right to be saying that things that did or didn't happen on the ship, because they might have. We don't know, we weren't there! No one here REALLY knows what went on.
Posted on: 2005/9/7 3:31

From
Group:
Registered Users
I Just Have One Question to ask you
how come everybody thinks that they could have more people saved if there was more life boats Because nobodysensed any danger untill the bow was 10" from the Surface of the water. And My great Great grandmother was on the Grand Ship And 15 people were on the first lifeboat 19 on the second And 10 on The third this is when the pumps came on so they thought it was safe they didn't listen the officers untill water was pouring on to the bow
Posted on: 2005/10/19 0:40
  •  billysampson
      billysampson

From Drexel Hill, PA
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think that at all. They were very unorganized. I'm sure that the crew members had the proper training given for when emergencies arise, don't ya think? On what I read from all of the documentaion about that night, there was a ship close to the Titanic called the Californian ( I think that was how you spelled it), and there radio operator was asleep/went to bed when the CQL/SOS signal was sent out. They also ignored the flairs from the Titanic as well. The Captain of that ship did not even know anything of the Titanic or of its name. Maybe that could of saved alot more lives that devastating night...
Posted on: 2005/10/19 18:18
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.