Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  lovinlife
      lovinlife
Raising the Titanic: Being realistic about the idea

From Northern Kentucky
Group:
Registered Users
I have read some opinions about whether raising the titanic is morally a good idea or bad.
Mixed feelings about the subject here though. Sorta feel like it should be left alone but even more feelings about the technology involved in moving such a huge mass from two miles down.
I think we would benefit from that aspect. I guess to maybe believe that some good can come from such a terrible accvident. Sorta like they didn' t die in vain.
Posted on: 2003/8/28 4:42
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
I am familair with this question,

I think its because the ship is now too old (not stable anymore) and its too deep and probably heavy.

Morally its a question. Who will profit from it, a museum? i think its complex. One day, people were sueing each other only for the objects found on the titanic like diamonds keys gold car etcetc.
Posted on: 2003/8/28 14:18
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
i really dont sea how you could raise the titanic, shes buried deep into the sea bed and how would they attatch anything to her, a human would be crushed to death by the pressure of the water and i cant see who any machine could stabile her enough to be brought to the surface and if they did she would just crumble.

plus that titanic is a grave site, over 1,500 people died on that ship,why would someone want to disturb a grave site?
Posted on: 2003/8/28 19:32
  •  lovinlife
      lovinlife
Moral issues concerning raising her

From Northern Kentucky
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for your response everyone. Glad to know that Im not the only one with mixed feelings about the idea but some how preserving the site. :D
Posted on: 2003/8/29 1:22
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
anyone who really believes its possible to raise titanic should get a copy of "modern marine salvage" by William I Jr Milwee and read it.
it gives a good overveiw of how tricky and downright dangerous it is and you would be getting information by some one who knows what they're talking about.
titanic is know nothing but a rusty shell, shes spent more time on the sea bed than she has on the surface and if she was SOMEHOW brought up she would collapse into dust as soon as she had dried out. what would you do with her when she was up? you cant walk on her decks because they aren't there anymore titanic is dead, what you sea on the sea bed is her carcass.
i worry for your sanity, babies and small children died on that ship, mothers and fathers, husbands and wifes, they died in absolute terror and fright and you want to drag up their final resting place?
is it the real titanic story you guys claim to love or the silly innaccurate film of camerons? do you hope jack will be sitting there waiting for you or something?
Posted on: 2003/8/29 15:15
  •  tinabriggs025
      tinabriggs025
i think

From hyannis massachuttes
Group:
Registered Users
:) they should leave the titanic where it sank i think that it would be a big mistake to take it out of its watery grave it should just be left alone and they should put like some kind of a memorial where the ship is like a deep pillar saying: HERE LIES THE RMS TITANIC AND ALL THE LIVES LOST MAY THEY ALL REST IN PEACE!!!!! TINA
Posted on: 2003/9/5 23:01
  •  Will
      Will
Re: i think

From
Group:
Registered Users
[quote:2cb9b93396="tinabriggs025"]:) they should leave the titanic where it sank i think that it would be a big mistake to take it out of its watery grave it should just be left alone and they should put like some kind of a memorial where the ship is like a deep pillar saying: HERE LIES THE RMS TITANIC AND ALL THE LIVES LOST MAY THEY ALL REST IN PEACE!!!!! TINA [/quote:2cb9b93396]
Didn't I read that Mr. Ballard had hung a plaque on the Titanic when last he visited it? Of course, this may not have the same impact as the memorial that you are suggesting. Just a thought.
Will
Posted on: 2003/9/26 21:35
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
The idea of raising the ship is ludicrous - it is in two large peices, and disintegrating. It would never survive being hauled to the surface.
Posted on: 2003/10/1 3:42
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Wow bess u have very grat passion for the ship! well we all do. But what realy ANGERS me (with all do respect) is that people dont understand that the titanics stern blew apart on contect with the sea floor. The bow is buried 40+ feet in mud and the ocean pressure would compress any equipment ! And the ship is weak and will break as well as crumble when reaching the air!!!! :wink: :shock: :x :o
Posted on: 2004/2/2 2:12
  •  Starry
      Starry

From US of A
Group:
Registered Users
yeah, it's quite impossible. :(
Posted on: 2004/2/2 2:12
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.