Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Urban Legends and the Titanic
Guest_Anonymous
Actually, this come off another thread, but I enjoy some of the urban legends about the sinking - the dog that greeted [i:eba2cf6ae0]Carpathia[/i:eba2cf6ae0] with joyful barks and led her to the site of the sinking, the mummy, the man lost in the double hull when she was built - anyone else know some whoppers they would like to share?
Posted on: 2003/10/14 1:52
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
well there are three i find entertaining,:
firstly, that the Allisons nanny, Alice Cleaver had previously murdered her baby son and had only just been released by a mental instution when she was employed by the allisons. there was a Alice Cleaver who murdered her child, but not the one who sailed on Titanic.

another is that little loraine Allison was found floating around on a life ring clutching a doll and calling for her mother. the story had so many faults. such as they said loraine was 10 months when infact she was just under 3 years, and that her brother Trevor was 5 years when he was only 11 months. plus i'd like to know how she survived all that time in the water.

another is that loraine was saved from the sinking by none other than Thomas Andrews and for some reason he kidnapped her and they lived a secret life in America! some other versions have it as captain smith kidnapping her and some have it as both men kidnapped her and brought her up together . this story came about when a lady named Loraine Kramer claimed that she was little Loraine. it turned out to be a load of rubbish.

and Teamtunafish, the version i have heard is that it was Will Murdochs dog, he was a newfoundland called rigel and he towed a lifeboat to the Carpathia and its barks alerted the captain to their whereabouts, and then theres Jenny the cat.........
Posted on: 2003/10/14 10:27
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
can i just add, that although we know the Mummy story is absolute bull****, it did get me a B for my English G.C.S.E
Posted on: 2003/10/14 11:13
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
For a while a bunch of us decided to add to that one - after it was sunk on the [i:7f26f91e21]Empress of Ireland[/i:7f26f91e21], we had it taking off in the [i:7f26f91e21]Challenger[/i:7f26f91e21]. A good urban legend begs for absurd addition, don't you think? :wink:

Where did you get the info Alice Cleaver having a name-double, BTW? I'd never heard that one before, and I collect the things.
Posted on: 2003/10/14 15:55
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
if you'r a member of encyclopedia-titanica, go the message board and do a search for "alice cleaver", you'll get the full story, if not i'll find some other sources for you.
Posted on: 2003/10/14 16:12
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
more on Alice cleaver:
her daughter, wrote a book to set the record straight, it has its own website:

http://www.dinahburnett.co.uk

here's her Encyclopedia-titanic biography:

http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/bio/p/1st/cleaver_ac.shtml

and here is another site explaining it.

http://www.pausingtoremember.net/Titanic_and_other_fables_part_II_Alice.html