Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  3 Votes
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Titanics younger sister ship Britanic
Guest_Anonymous
Hi is there anyone out there that can assist me with a project i have on hand at the moment.?
I am doing some research into the background of the Bitanic.ie Length ,beam, draft, type of engines, displacement,No of passengers, anything of interest regardingg this ship.Thanking you all in anticipation.I have a lot of data but just in case i have missed something Cheers Booty
Posted on: 2004/11/17 14:09
Create PDF from Post Print
Re: Titanics younger sister ship Britanic

From bottom of the ocean near the titanic
Group:
Registered Users
Britanic was an exact rep of titanic if i'm not mistaken so their stats would be the same would they. the only differance is that the titanic was black and red, and the britanica was white and had a big green cross or x on her side as she was a medical ship.
i will check into it farther and get back to you. Quote:

booty wrote:
Hi is there anyone out there that can assist me with a project i have on hand at the moment.?
I am doing some research into the background of the Bitanic.ie Length ,beam, draft, type of engines, displacement,No of passengers, anything of interest regardingg this ship.Thanking you all in anticipation.I have a lot of data but just in case i have missed something Cheers Booty

for titanic avatars here is a good spot for ones of jack rose and the two of them together
http://www.fortunecity.com/lavendar/casablanca/110/titanic.h...
Posted on: 2004/11/17 17:33
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous

LENGTH (o.a) 882ft (269m)
GROSS TONNAGE 48.158tons
NET TONNAGE 24,592tons
DISPLACEMENT 78.950tons
BEAM 94ft (28.6m)
HEIGHT 104ft (31.7m) Note: From keel to navigating bridge
DEPTH (molded) 64.3ft (19.6m)
DRAFT (loaded) 34.7ft (10.5m)
# OF DECKS 9
# OF BULKHEADS 16 Note: Five of them were extended up to B-deck,40ft (12.2m) from the waterline
ENGINES 2 inverted direct acting triple expansion engines.1 low pressure turbine driving center aft
POWER Engines:16.000 (x2) IHPTurbine:18.000 SHP Total:50.000 HP
SPEED 21 knots Note: without using reserve power
ACCOMMODATION 1st class:790 2nd Class:836 3rd Class:953 Crew:950 Total:3.529

The engine arrangements were similar to Olympic and Titanic:29 boilers, all but five double ended and weighing 105t each. Two 4-cylinder triple-expansion reciprocating engines each developing 16000hp.The remaining steam could pass into a low pressure turbine (weighing 490t) driving the center screw and developing another 18000hp.With a total engine power of 50000hp Britannic could reach and maintain a speed of 21knots and having reserve power if needed.

Externally, Britannic maintained the enclosed forward end of the promenade deck (present on Titanic but not on Olympic) for the protection of the passengers against heavy weather. The aft shelter deck was also enclosed in order to create a covered area for the 3rd class passengers. But the most visible modification were the huge new lifeboat davits. Britannic could carry 46 open lifeboats (plus 2 motor launches with their own wireless). The life boats were positioned in four groups on the boat deck as seen in the picture above. Each davit could handle more than one lifeboat and in two of the eight stations (those not near the funnels) could transfer a lifeboat from one side of the ship to the other, something useful in case of increased list to one of the two sides. This arrangement created large space for the passengers on the boat deck and made possible their entrance on the lifeboats while still being on deck. Then the full lifeboat could be lowered in a safe distance from the ship thanks to 2 separate motors and not manually. Finally a light to the end of each davit would make easier the operation at night. Indeed the new davits could guarantee a rapid and safe evacuation of all passengers and crew. Of course the White Star made a publicity campaign to show that safety features on their ships were the best around.

Internally, the ship was quite similar to the Titanic. Some new features included a hairdressing salon for women, a children's playroom, dog kennels, a gymnasium for second class passengers, a fourth elevator for first class passengers and a pneumatic tube than ran from the wireless room to the bridge in order to send navigational messages (on Titanic the most important ice warning never arrived to the bridge because the operators were too busy to leave their posts....). Of course the ship would have all the major attractions of the Olympic class: restaurant a la carte, first class gymnasium, Cafe' Parisien, barber shop for gents, squash court, Turkish baths, swimming pool, Smoke Rooms, Reading and Writing room and one Dining Room for each class

With all those modifications the gross tonnage would arrive at 50000t making the Britannic one of the largest British ocean liner and the best of the Olympic class. On February 26,1914 (at 11.15a.m), Britannic was finally launched at Belfast without any launching ceremony (a White Star tradition) nearly 27 months after her keel had been laid. 81 seconds later the 24800t hull was afloat and five tugs towed it to the fitting out basin. When completed the ship would have the following capacity:790 first class,836 second class,953 third class passengers and 950 crew members. She would be ready for service in the spring of 1915.

Posted on: 2004/11/17 19:10
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Hi Bladefire thanks for that info its been a great help,a lot of it idid'nt have to hand as my book on white star liners was borrowed some time ago and very conviently lost.So thanks again for infoQuote:

Bladefire wrote:

LENGTH (o.a) 882ft (269m)
GROSS TONNAGE 48.158tons
NET TONNAGE 24,592tons
DISPLACEMENT 78.950tons
BEAM 94ft (28.6m)
HEIGHT 104ft (31.7m) Note: From keel to navigating bridge
DEPTH (molded) 64.3ft (19.6m)
DRAFT (loaded) 34.7ft (10.5m)
# OF DECKS 9
# OF BULKHEADS 16 Note: Five of them were extended up to B-deck,40ft (12.2m) from the waterline
ENGINES 2 inverted direct acting triple expansion engines.1 low pressure turbine driving center aft
POWER Engines:16.000 (x2) IHPTurbine:18.000 SHP Total:50.000 HP
SPEED 21 knots Note: without using reserve power
ACCOMMODATION 1st class:790 2nd Class:836 3rd Class:953 Crew:950 Total:3.529

The engine arrangements were similar to Olympic and Titanic:29 boilers, all but five double ended and weighing 105t each. Two 4-cylinder triple-expansion reciprocating engines each developing 16000hp.The remaining steam could pass into a low pressure turbine (weighing 490t) driving the center screw and developing another 18000hp.With a total engine power of 50000hp Britannic could reach and maintain a speed of 21knots and having reserve power if needed.

Externally, Britannic maintained the enclosed forward end of the promenade deck (present on Titanic but not on Olympic) for the protection of the passengers against heavy weather. The aft shelter deck was also enclosed in order to create a covered area for the 3rd class passengers. But the most visible modification were the huge new lifeboat davits. Britannic could carry 46 open lifeboats (plus 2 motor launches with their own wireless). The life boats were positioned in four groups on the boat deck as seen in the picture above. Each davit could handle more than one lifeboat and in two of the eight stations (those not near the funnels) could transfer a lifeboat from one side of the ship to the other, something useful in case of increased list to one of the two sides. This arrangement created large space for the passengers on the boat deck and made possible their entrance on the lifeboats while still being on deck. Then the full lifeboat could be lowered in a safe distance from the ship thanks to 2 separate motors and not manually. Finally a light to the end of each davit would make easier the operation at night. Indeed the new davits could guarantee a rapid and safe evacuation of all passengers and crew. Of course the White Star made a publicity campaign to show that safety features on their ships were the best around.

Internally, the ship was quite similar to the Titanic. Some new features included a hairdressing salon for women, a children's playroom, dog kennels, a gymnasium for second class passengers, a fourth elevator for first class passengers and a pneumatic tube than ran from the wireless room to the bridge in order to send navigational messages (on Titanic the most important ice warning never arrived to the bridge because the operators were too busy to leave their posts....). Of course the ship would have all the major attractions of the Olympic class: restaurant a la carte, first class gymnasium, Cafe' Parisien, barber shop for gents, squash court, Turkish baths, swimming pool, Smoke Rooms, Reading and Writing room and one Dining Room for each class

With all those modifications the gross tonnage would arrive at 50000t making the Britannic one of the largest British ocean liner and the best of the Olympic class. On February 26,1914 (at 11.15a.m), Britannic was finally launched at Belfast without any launching ceremony (a White Star tradition) nearly 27 months after her keel had been laid. 81 seconds later the 24800t hull was afloat and five tugs towed it to the fitting out basin. When completed the ship would have the following capacity:790 first class,836 second class,953 third class passengers and 950 crew members. She would be ready for service in the spring of 1915.

Posted on: 2004/11/17 19:18
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Hi there Ella thanks for your comments.I have various pictures of Britanic which i have already submitted.When she was launched she was in the same colours as Titanic.She was intended to join white stars fleet of luxuy liners but the outbreak of world war 1 prevented this.But all her luxury fittings sat in storage and she was converted to a hospital ship,Thus she was painted white,with a green band running the full length of her sides interspersed by three red crosses on either side.From then on she was known as: Her Majestys Hospital Ship Britanic.Whilst serving as a hospital ship on the morning of November 21 1916 at approx 8 12 a.m. she struck a mine off the island of Kea in the Aegean sea.wthin minutes sh was down by the bow and sank shortly aftrwards.She lay there on the bottom for almost sity years before being discovered.this much i have alredy read but i'm indebted to bladefire for all the technical data he has supplied
Posted on: 2004/11/17 19:35
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
just glad i could help
Posted on: 2004/11/17 19:44
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Hi bladefire futher to the info you supplied yesterday,I took it along to our Titanic Club last night.Everone present was over the moon with what you supplied.About 50% we already knew but now thanks to you we can update our files on this ship.So a heartfelt thanks from all our members.Cheers Booty
Ps. If you have any info on the white stars mystery ship Naronic that would be helpful as we can't seem to find out anything much about her.She is not even mentioned in the book "Chronicals of the White Star LineQuote:

Bladefire wrote:
just glad i could help
Posted on: 2004/11/18 12:59

From bottom of the ocean near the titanic
Group:
Registered Users
your welcome

for titanic avatars here is a good spot for ones of jack rose and the two of them together
http://www.fortunecity.com/lavendar/casablanca/110/titanic.h...
Posted on: 2004/11/18 18:04
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Bye the way Ella are you related to Bladefire ???
Posted on: 2004/11/18 19:19
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Hi,

I'm a Titanic, Olympic, Britannic and White Star Line Historian so I can help....but I'm to lazy to post information tonight tonight :hammer: so please pm me if you want me to provide you with some information.

I'm also researching the Naronic at the moment....I'll post some information about her here tomorrow.

Tom
Posted on: 2004/11/18 21:51
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.