Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  3 Votes
  •  Titanic King
      Titanic King
Re: Captain J. Smith

From Remyxxx777
Group:
Registered Users
Stanley, I can tell you that he was captain for the Olympic. That is all I know.Sorry
Posted on: 2006/7/5 7:39
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  titanicfan05
      titanicfan05

From
Group:
Registered Users
Most of the information I have read on Captain Smith was about after he became captain of the Titanic...but "Unsinkable" by Daniel Allen Butler mentions some about the captain before Titanic if I remember correctly. I'd try that book...Good luck!
Posted on: 2006/7/4 5:31
  •  stanley
      stanley

From Buckeye Arizona / 40miles/63km w. of Phoenix Arizona
Group:
Registered Users
I've just checked my last posting, and I don't undrestand the messages I've receved in return. have I said, or posted something I should'nt have ?
Posted on: 2006/6/30 15:48
  •  stanley
      stanley

Group:
Registered Users
I think some of you have the wrong idea about what I'm looking for. I'm trying to locate information about Captain J. Smith early seaman years to the time he was made Captain of the Titanic. I'm not trying to be disrespectful nor inconsiderate to this man. I want to know where he came from and what qualified too be a Sea Captain? Whats wrong with that???
Posted on: 2006/6/17 15:53

From Delaware, United States
Group:
Registered Users
I sent you an e-mail with some information about Captain Edward John Smith. I'll post it in the forum if anyone else is interested.
Posted on: 2006/5/18 23:18
  •  stanley
      stanley

Group:
Registered Users
I would like very much to thank all of you who have responded to my request for infomation on Capt. J. Smith early years of seamen ship. but I'm trying to wright a story about Capt. Smith, and how he might have gotten started in saling. can any one give me any info on his early years, or tell me where to look?
my personnel E-mail is ()
Posted on: 2006/5/18 6:12
  •  jpmorgan
      jpmorgan

From uk
Group:
Registered Users
stanley mate just type into google your questions and behold your answers will be answered
Posted on: 2006/4/10 20:44
  •  AirBear
      AirBear

From Alabama USA
Group:
Registered Users
After reading "Unsinkable," I've learned more than any other medium regarding the Titanic's sinking. Two boards of inquiry were conducted which, to my understanding, both were unable to directly blame any one circumstance or fault. A quantity of several issues including the Board of Trades inadequate requirement for sufficient life boats, Mr Ismays mere presence fostering the company representatives to "push harder," the lack of attention to ice berg warnings, no 24-hour marconi operation and the insufficient actions on part of the California even though she was close aboard. Were those lives given in vain? I don't think so as many of the maritime laws of today were the direct result of Titanic's sinking.
Posted on: 2006/1/26 16:25
  •  RyanMck
      RyanMck

From Darwen, Lancashire, UK
Group:
Registered Users
"I think Captain Smith had his part in the sinking. But there are a few more things to blame as much or more than him. First off the owner, there was not enough life boats in the first place and him pushing for a faster voyage in the name of headlines. i always though he just wanted to save only the first class passengers. then you blame Captain Smith for the fact that he (had an iceberg warning in his hand and) still lit another boiler just to make headlines.... well he made them didnt he. then Mr. Andrews... the ship builder is to blame..... he's built alot of ships.. he should have realized the rudder was too small for the size of her. but this is just my opinion based on what i've studied and learned thru my life."

I think that is a very inconsiderate and highly disrespectful thing to say.
Also, it's flawed.
For one, the legend has it that Ismay was pushing Smith to speed up for a record crossing. Whether this really happened or not is a disputed fact, and will remain unknown.

Also, Thomas Andrews didn't design the Olympic class. Alexander Carlisle did, but when Carlisle left Harland & Wolff in 1910(11?), Andrews, being shown nepotism by his uncle Pirrie, took over.
Posted on: 2006/1/25 3:58
  •  texaswildcat
      texaswildcat

From
Group:
Registered Users
I think Captain Smith had his part in the sinking. But there are a few more things to blame as much or more than him. First off the owner, there was not enough life boats in the first place and him pushing for a faster voyage in the name of headlines. i always though he just wanted to save only the first class passengers. then you blame Captain Smith for the fact that he (had an iceberg warning in his hand and) still lit another boiler just to make headlines.... well he made them didnt he. then Mr. Andrews... the ship builder is to blame..... he's built alot of ships.. he should have realized the rudder was too small for the size of her. but this is just my opinion based on what i've studied and learned thru my life.
Posted on: 2005/12/18 5:10
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.