Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  1 Votes
  •  titanicfan05
      titanicfan05
Re: What would you change?

From
Group:
Registered Users
I would not change anything at all. I agree with Jessica. It's hard to put yourself in that time, and change something because we know the outcome.
For their time it was not only considered luxurious, but also safe. Personally, I love Andrews's design and I probably could not have made it any safer, considering I know nothing about shipbuilding.
And I have read the same thing about the binoculars. When they were doing the trial test, they used them. But the author then said the binoculars were locked in a locker and then either the person did not make it back onto the ship, or the key was lost. A simple mistake...it could have happened to anyone. These people were only human...So I don't think it's fair for us to criticize them. I don't know if I could handle it as well as they did.
Posted on: 2006/5/7 18:13
Create PDF from Post Print

From Delaware, United States
Group:
Registered Users
That of course is a good point, but if there had been more lifeboats on Titanic, there's a good chance that many could have been floated off the ship as it sank, and passengers could have climbed into them. This isn't a practical solution, but one that should be considered, since 30 men climbed onboard a overturned collapsible boat floating in the water and balanced themselves to keep the air from escaping from under it. They were later rescued by another lifeboat.
Posted on: 2006/5/7 3:30
  •  LeoPlumtree
      LeoPlumtree

From
Group:
Registered Users
Considering the last collapsibles were floated off as water was comin' onto the Boat Deck, I'd say they had just 'bout enough time to launch the boats they had. Perhaps more boats wouldn't've made all that much difference.
Posted on: 2006/5/6 17:17
  •  FoX
      FoX

From
Group:
Registered Users
I would install radar, sonar and laser guided missiles
Posted on: 2006/5/4 10:43

From Delaware, United States
Group:
Registered Users
I would have had the Board of Trade Regulations changed before hand, which would have required more lifeboats (Also I would have had special davits capable of launching them efficiently) on Titanic. Of course this isn't exactly a direct change to the ship, but because of the regulation change, it would lead to one. Also I would have had the bulkheads extended up a little more, and had them capped off. (The bulkheads were extended on Olympic after the disaster, and the Britannic when she was constructed.) Also, I would have had the double bottom hull extended up the side of the ship, which was also done on Olympic and Britannic after the disaster. So basically I would just have things done to Titanic that were installed anyway on her sister ships after she sank.
Posted on: 2006/5/4 3:37
  •  whitestar19
      whitestar19

From in front of my computer screen:)
Group:
Registered Users
I would have given Titanic more life boats. More lives would have been saved. I also would have encouraged crew members to put more passenger on board and that goes for the men passengers to.
Posted on: 2006/5/3 17:32

From Orange, VA (U.S.A.)
Group:
Registered Users
Are you talkin about changin the ship's design or changin the movie?

If it's the ship's design,--I'd only change the davits and give Titanic the big ones, like her sister Britannic. And put a "cap" on top of the watertight compartments and really make them watertight.

Otherwise, I'd leave the ship as is.

If it's the movie you're talkin about,--I'd make Ruth nicer and not so greedy. Let the truth be known, Ruth wanted Rose to marry a rich man (Cal), so she wouldn't be dumped into some nursing home. When Rose marries Cal, Ruth would've been " on easy street", and well cared for. No, Ruth was too much of a greedy "stiff" for me.
Posted on: 2006/4/3 23:12
  •  hendrick
      hendrick

From Georgia, U.S.
Group:
Registered Users
I guess Clinton asked this ? and it's a good one.
A couple of cosmetic changes would be: the cables for what
I assume are the Marconi wireless stretch between the two masts
detract from her appearance. Also, I think there was a covered,
but open deck area behind either the smoking lounge or library
that kinda looked cheesy (A deck?). Other than that most of us
who are on this site would agree that she was an elegant creation as she was.
Posted on: 2006/4/2 11:30

From Tallmadge, Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry about bringing up this dead thread, but, when I was doing research for my website, I found this about the binoculars.

"During the first crew assignments, David Blair was a lookout, and had the binoculars. He was only an officer on Titanic during the trip from Belfast to Southampton, where he was replaced with Henry Wilde, who was chosen due to his experience as an officer on the Olympic.
When he was replaced, the binoculars remained in the locker he occupied, and were never retrieved. "

That comes straight from my website, so for more info, please feel free to go to it and see a few other things I found out.

My Website.. Titanic: Truth, Myths and Legends
Posted on: 2006/2/3 1:14
  •  clinton
      clinton

From London UK
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MurdochsAid wrote:
If you're referring back to the what ifs, then...

The Marconi Company/or 1st Officer Murdoch should have strongly instructed Jack Phillips and Harold Bride that the iceberg warnings take priority over passengers' incoming/outgoing messages. For that was one area that needed improving.

Talking to Lights, my friend who is an reincarnatee of 2nd Officer Charles Herbert Lightoller, told me that had Will received those iceberg warnings as he should have...he would have posted them on the bulletin board.

Well my friend is the reincarnation of the Dog they used in the Lassie movies, and he said: "woof, woof, bark, bark.....lick himself, howl at the moon, woof, bark, seeking fire-hydrant"
Posted on: 2006/1/6 12:03
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.