Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  1 Votes
Re: How Could More Lives Be Saved?

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
Well, they where not sure of the weight the davits may have buckled. If you look at the making of the film titanic jim cameron says that the davits shook very alarmingly, so they where re inforced but still it looked as though they would tear out of the deck, and the davits used in the film where to the exact spec as the real titanics and built by the same company. So maybe that was a reason
Posted on: 2005/11/26 14:05
Create PDF from Post Print

From Crooksville,Ohio and Zanesville,Ohio
Group:
Registered Users
If more people would have got on the lifeboats.
Posted on: 2005/10/22 17:34
  •  billysampson
      billysampson

From Drexel Hill, PA
Group:
Registered Users
Very nicely put...hear, hear!! LOL!! Itz just a shame....
Posted on: 2005/10/20 18:35

From Texas
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with Bell.
Posted on: 2005/10/20 2:17

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
Whole problem was.....................'THEY DID NOT HAVE A CLUE' what was going on.

You have 2200+ people, vast majority are in the belief this ship will never sink and all this fuss is utter nonsense. You have captain smith, who himself said never saw anything at sea worth talking about, is suddenly thrown in this situation. The ship is in the middle of nowhere, help is hours away. The crew some of which from Olympic so that is a plus, the rest pulled off other ships, much smaller. The order 'woman and children first'. Popular thinking is that this means only when all women and children where in could the men get on. Or while smith walked past a life boat did he just say women and children first, then the men may. You see there was confusion, then panic starts, the ship is listing at an ever more acute angle. People are NOW starting to want in a boat; officers are inundated with a surge of please to board life boats, families split apart.

The whole titanic tradagey was not one fatal error, but a number coming together to make it what it was. The fact it sank in the first place...no binoculars. When Murdoch slowed the ship, slowing water flow in turn slowing the ships evasive efficiency. The ships safety features that where just shy of saving her...it was a bad acciedent

And thanks to it...hopefully it will not happen again

Good night now
Posted on: 2005/10/20 1:48
  •  billysampson
      billysampson

From Drexel Hill, PA
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think that at all. They were very unorganized. I'm sure that the crew members had the proper training given for when emergencies arise, don't ya think? On what I read from all of the documentaion about that night, there was a ship close to the Titanic called the Californian ( I think that was how you spelled it), and there radio operator was asleep/went to bed when the CQL/SOS signal was sent out. They also ignored the flairs from the Titanic as well. The Captain of that ship did not even know anything of the Titanic or of its name. Maybe that could of saved alot more lives that devastating night...
Posted on: 2005/10/19 18:18

From
Group:
Registered Users
I Just Have One Question to ask you
how come everybody thinks that they could have more people saved if there was more life boats Because nobodysensed any danger untill the bow was 10" from the Surface of the water. And My great Great grandmother was on the Grand Ship And 15 people were on the first lifeboat 19 on the second And 10 on The third this is when the pumps came on so they thought it was safe they didn't listen the officers untill water was pouring on to the bow
Posted on: 2005/10/19 0:40
  •  Jillian
      Jillian

From Small town in Manitoba, Canada
Group:
Registered Users
Well, you know what, I don't think anybody really has the right to be saying that things that did or didn't happen on the ship, because they might have. We don't know, we weren't there! No one here REALLY knows what went on.
Posted on: 2005/9/7 3:31
  •  historybuff
      historybuff

From Illinois
Group:
Registered Users
There are many ways inwhich more lives could have been saved, such as people not being as arrogant about the ship being unsinkable, having more lifeboats instead of only enough for half of the crew, hitting the iceberg head on actually wouldn't have sunk the ship, so many things so little time.
The third class passengers were NOT locked in the bottom of the ship like the movie portrays. They were free to move about the ship. They were actually the first to know that something was wrong with the ship since they were at the lowest point of the ship, the scrapping of the ship was extremely loud to them and they ran up top to see what had happened and found large pieces of ice on deck that they started throwing at each other.
Posted on: 2005/9/7 2:26

From United Kingdom
Group:
Registered Users
how could it?
Posted on: 2005/9/6 13:56
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.