Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Re: White Star Liners Names( hey booty here is what you wanted
Guest_Anonymous
RMS Majestic (1):

White Star Lines slightly younger sister ship of Teutonic, Majestic was launched at Harland and Wolff on 29th June 1889.

Her maiden voyage from Liverpool - New York started on 2nd April 1890.

She won the Blue Riband for a westbound crossing of 5 days, 18 hours and 8 minutes, at an average speed of 21 knots, in July 1891.

She had two trooping voyages during the Boer war, during December 1899 and February 1900.

During 1902-1903, she had her funnels made higher, new boilers fitted and had one of her three masts removed.

In June 1907 she moved to the Southampton - New York service.

She was taken out of service in November 1911 and put into reserve due to Olympic coming into service.

After Titanic sank on her maiden voyage, Majestic was put back into service as Titanic's "replacement".

According to 9th May 1913 New York times...In May of 1913 a crew member of Majestic (presumed to have) committed suicide by jumping over board. About 3 days after that another crew member tried to commit suicide by jumping over board but was heard and seemed to change his mind once he hit the water, Majestic's port side emergency boat was lowered into the sea and Majestic's first officer David Blair (the same man who was second officer on Titanic until Mr Wilde was made chief officer, just for her maiden voyage) jumped over board to save the man, both him and the man were safely brought back onboard.

Majestic started her last voyage on 14th January 1914 and was then sold for scrap.

The owners of the ship breakers made a nice bit of money from Majestic by opening her to the public during the summer of 1914.

Please only reproduce what I have written..if you add at the end of it: Source: © Thomas Dyer.

Tom

Posted on: 2005/1/4 22:36
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Hi, booty,

I'm hoping to post a history of MV Georgic and another White Star Ship later today.

Thank you for keeping me updated on the photo's.

Tom
Posted on: 2004/12/31 1:26
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Hi Tom, I have added some of the info you supplied to my site and credited it to you, check it out under White Star page to see if its ok or if you want anything else added. New address in my profile
Cheers Booty. PS i should be hearing about the photo's that Southampton have by next week so i will keep you posted on that score.
Posted on: 2004/12/30 19:51
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Thanks Tom,
I had an idea that the info i had was ok i just wanted to make sure, thanks for getting back to me, at the moment i am in the process of finalising my book and the publishers have faxed me several proposed covers for me to decide on so its just a case of making a final decision. I'm hoping it will be finalised by next month. Booty
Posted on: 2004/12/29 19:17
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Hi, booty,

Yes, Oceanic (the first ship Harland and Wolff built for the White Star Line) was launched on 27th August 1870.

Sir Edward James Harland was born in Scarborough, in May of 1831, he moved to Belfast in 1854 and in 1858 he bought the ship yard that would later become Harland and Wolff. He sadly died on 24th December 1895.

Tom
Posted on: 2004/12/29 17:19
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Hi again Tom,
i wonder if you can clarify two points for me, 1, am i right in thinking White Star launched it's first Atlantic steamer in 1870 ? 2, That Edward Harland was a Yorkshire man and that he was in fact born in Scarborough in 1831.I have most facts but these two i'm not quite sure of, just wondering if you can help. Booty :pint: :pint:
Posted on: 2004/12/29 14:46
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Hi Tom not to worry i can use what you gave me and ensure you get the credit if thats ok, Happy new year Booty
:pint: :pint:
Posted on: 2004/12/29 14:37
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Hi, Booty,

Thank you.

I'm not sure why it has been removed, sorry.

Tom
Posted on: 2004/12/29 14:33
  •  Anonymous
      Anonymous
Guest_Anonymous
Hi Tom,
Hope you are over Xmas ok and looking forward to the new year. Thanks for you postings on WS ships i will credit you or them and add that they are copyright of you personally.One point you may be able to help with though Ella bullock posted a comprehensive list of WS ships and what happened to them but for some reason they have been removed from the site. Stating the reason on page 5 of the thread, But i can't find any referencce as to why it was removed, can you throw any light on this Cheers Booty
Posted on: 2004/12/28 19:01
Re: White Star Liners Names

From canada
Group:
Registered Users
off topic, but can anyone describe the tragedy of the titanic incidence in one paragraph, having trouble

thanks
Posted on: 2004/12/28 17:31
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.