Main Menu
Recent News
Latest Articles
Random photos

Titanic.com - Titanic News, Photos, Articles & Research | Forum Index
   Titanic historic
   What Really Happened When She Went Under?

Browsing this Thread:   37 Anonymous Users

Bottom    Previous Topic    Next Topic
  •  Rate Thread
      Rate this Thread
      Excellent
      Good
      Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  GooseGrl172
      GooseGrl172
What Really Happened When She Went Under?

From Maryland
Group:
Registered Users
Hello.

I have a question about what really happened when the Titanic went down. From all the models I've seen and articles I've read, it's suggested that she broke up at, or just under the surface. That the bow and stern sections seperated just under the surface after the stern was pulled up the second time and stood verticle, "bobbing" in the water. Then just went down.

This has never made any sense to me. If would seem that if it were bobbing and seperated from the bow, that it would have bobbed, and on each decent, gone down deeper into the water, that it would have taken longer to sink, until it was gone. It didnt go like this though, it went right down. This doesnt make sense to me. Despite the weight, it still should have taken longer to sink, and the action should have been a little bobbing since all that air was still in there. Maybe a couple waves would have even been felt.

This is what I think happened and what makes more sense to me; that the two sections seperated a little further down. That once the stern had become verticle again, the bow did pull it down but the stern's resistance pulled the bow back up (in that very slow bob) and once the direction moved back down, the weight and inertia was too much and the bow pulled the stern down with it, causing the air to explode in immense force causeing severe damage to the stern as it was pulled completely under by the bow, then seperating. By the time they'd seperated though, enough damage had been done, and enough air lost, that the stern just continued to sink, but much slower than the bow, since the air is still escaping from it.

Now maybe the models and info. have been updated (and I just somehow manages to miss it despite how much I read) to support this, but if not, what do you all think?

Jessica
Posted on: 2005/1/31 5:22
Create PDF from Post Print
Subject Poster Date
     Re: What Really Happened When She Went Under? NYMedic130 2005/1/31 6:23
       Re: What Really Happened When She Went Under? GooseGrl172 2005/1/31 15:42
         Re: What Really Happened When She Went Under? Martyn 2005/2/1 17:14
           Re: What Really Happened When She Went Under? Johno 2005/2/17 16:05
             Re: What Really Happened When She Went Under? Martyn 2005/2/20 18:36
               Re: What Really Happened When She Went Under? Johno 2005/2/21 15:13
                 Re: What Really Happened When She Went Under? Martyn 2005/2/21 16:08
                   Re: What Really Happened When She Went Under? Johno 2005/2/23 17:03
                     Re: What Really Happened When She Went Under? Dominican12 2005/2/23 20:06
                       Re: What Really Happened When She Went Under? mitchell66 2005/3/6 0:04
                         Re: What Really Happened When She Went Under? first_matey 2005/3/13 2:15
                         Re: What Really Happened When She Went Under? snokkums 2005/3/16 21:42
                     Re: What Really Happened When She Went Under? snokkums 2005/3/16 21:44
                       Re: What Really Happened When She Went Under? Kyle J. W. 2005/10/8 1:41
           Re: What Really Happened When She Went Under? jbeboatman 2005/3/5 22:26
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.

Copyright © 2006-2012 Titanic.com
Home Photos Advertise Link to us Flower Box