Terrible
Poster Thread
Re: Conspiricy theories

From
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

S-Park wrote:
And y was the olympic brought into port 4 weeks before to have it's port hole configaration changed so it was exactly the same as the Titanic.

I don’t think any serious researchers believe it was.

Quote:
Jillian i will explain it. The Olympics back was broken and would only be worth a couple of thousand pouds for scrap iron.

If by ‘back’ you mean the Olympic’s keel, running the length of the ship and essentially the ship’s ‘backbone,’ then my answer would be that it would be impossible for the keel to be broken. The keel was made up of a series of steel sections: one section could be replaced if necessary. Even if the keel was damaged, then the Olympic would not have been a write off.

Quote:
THe Titanic was worth 5000 (if sunk)

Not at all. She was insured for $5,000,000 ($2,500,000 less than her building cost).

Quote:
So the theory goes like this. they would scuttle the olympic. Who's name had been changed and port hole config (suposadly.)

I think ‘supposedly’ is the key word. There’s no evidence for the Olympic’s name being changed, or the porthole configuration altered in 1912.

Quote:
They would then get 5000 pounds insted of a mear 1500.

I’m not sure where these figures come from, but they’re incorrect.

Quote:
And why was the RMS california steaming full ahead to the middle of the North atlantic carrying no passengers. Only 300 woolen jumpers and blankets.

No one other than the conspiracy theorists believe that she was carrying woollen jumpers and blankets. Californian’s cargo manifest no longer exists, so it can’t be proven.

Quote:
And why did the california stop suddenly in the middle of the north atlantic.

In order to avoid hitting an iceberg. Ships that didn’t stop – such as Titanic – tended to have bad experiences in ice fields.

Quote:
Also why was the olympic brought in for it's propellers to be changed on the same weekend as the Titanic was supposed to have hers fitted.

It wasn’t. For instance, it was one blade from the port propeller that needed changing; and the dates are wrong. Titanic left dry-dock on February 17th 1912, after her propellers had been fitted; Olympic didn’t arrive in the dry-dock until March 1912.

Quote:
Well every ship has it's own unique serial number. Everything onboard was stamped with this. The Titanic was 401 and the olympic 400.

Indeed. Parts bearing the number ‘401’ have been recovered from the wrecksite: ranging from an engine part; to a marble sink fitting; and other items from all over the ship.

Quote:
You see jillian i do not want to insult anyone i am just trying to explain my thoughts. As i said beforethe olympics back was broken due to the incident with the HMS hawk. the ship was "Dead" if you like. a good inspection would have wrote the Olympic off.

You’re perfectly entitled to your opinions, and I for one appreciate the civilised manner in which you’ve started this debate. However, I’ll disagree with the idea that the Olympic’s back was broken. I’ve read the testimony at the enquiries into the Hawke collision, from several independent ship surveyors, and I’ve seen the photos of the damage.

Quote:
Oh and why was there a fire burning in Titanics coal bunkers during it's sea trials and not exstinguished.????????

Cal Haines has addressed that question in his article for www.titanic-model.com .

Quote:
and it's sea trials instead of taking a min of 2 days took only half a day.

Titanic’s sea trials were short for a number of reasons: the fact that they had been postponed for a day due to bad weather; and the rush to get the ship to Southampton to begin provisioning for the maiden voyage.

Quote:
…Please everyone dont take any of this as an insult to this great ship. I am mearly trying to understand and find out more about this great ship.

It’s a commendable objective. My own view is that it is vital to read the Bruce Beveridge and Steve Hall book, as well as the conspiracy theorists’ writings – as the latter have been demonstrated to contain numerous inaccuracies. Many of my own views are also at the link I provided earlier.

Best wishes,

Mark.
Posted on: 2005/11/16 20:17
Create PDF from Post Print
Subject Poster Date
     Re: Conspiricy theories S-Park 2005/11/15 22:43
       Re: Conspiricy theories Jillian 2005/11/16 0:59
         Re: Conspiricy theories TITANICsoul 2005/11/16 1:42
           Re: Conspiricy theories Mark Chirnside 2005/11/16 10:20
             Re: Conspiricy theories S-Park 2005/11/16 19:37
               Re: Conspiricy theories Mark Chirnside 2005/11/16 20:17
                 Re: Conspiricy theories S-Park 2005/11/16 20:48
                   Re: Conspiricy theories Mark Chirnside 2005/11/16 21:06
                     Re: Conspiricy theories S-Park 2005/11/16 21:43
                       Re: Conspiricy theories TITANICsoul 2005/11/17 0:18
                         Re: Conspiricy theories S-Park 2005/11/17 12:07
                           Re: Conspiricy theories Mark Chirnside 2005/11/17 12:37
                             Re: Conspiricy theories S-Park 2005/11/17 12:54
                               Re: Conspiricy theories Mark Chirnside 2005/11/17 13:05
                                 Re: Conspiricy theories S-Park 2005/11/17 13:43
                                   Re: Conspiricy theories S-Park 2005/11/17 14:37
                                     Re: Conspiricy theories calfoley84 2005/11/17 17:21
                                       Re: Conspiricy theories Mark Chirnside 2005/11/17 17:31
                                         Re: Conspiricy theories S-Park 2005/11/17 17:44
                                           Re: Conspiricy theories Mark Chirnside 2005/11/17 18:31
                                             Re: Conspiricy theories S-Park 2005/11/17 19:39
                                               Re: Conspiricy theories Mark Chirnside 2005/11/17 19:44
                                                 Re: Conspiricy theories S-Park 2005/11/17 20:13
                                                   Re: Conspiricy theories TITANICsoul 2005/11/17 21:48
                                                     Re: Conspiricy theories S-Park 2005/11/17 22:16
                                                       Re: Conspiricy theories TITANICsoul 2005/11/18 6:06
                                                         Re: Conspiricy theories S-Park 2005/11/18 10:58
                                                           Re: Conspiricy theories TITANICsoul 2005/11/18 16:13
                       Re: Conspiricy theories Mark Chirnside 2005/11/17 12:33
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.

Copyright © 2006-2012 Titanic.com