Terrible
Poster Thread
  •  Kathi
      Kathi
Re: Julie - A Life So Short

From Germany
Group:
Registered Users
After the lifeboat was half-filled the young steward looked around. He couldn't see any more women and children because he shouted: "Okay, now everyone else into the boats!" Some more men joined their wifes. The others stayed aboard, shivering in the cold night. Julie pushed her friend forwards. "Get into the lifeboat, Henry", she said quietly. "You can't help them anymore." "What about you?", he asked. "I have to get something from our cabin. Don't wait for me, I'll take the next boat." Henry looked undecided. On one hand, he wanted to get away of the sinking ship as soon as possible, but on the other hand, he didn't want to leave his best friend. "Hurry up", Julie said urgently. "Okay", he said. "But promise me you take another boat." Julie nodded. "But if there's not enough space for me... I can't promise that, Henry." "Try your best, okay?" He kissed her cheek. "Don't leave me, Julie." Then he ran towards the lifeboat that was just lowered. He jumped into it and nearly fell into the ocean. He waved and smiled at Julie, but she saw the tears in his eyes.
Julie sprinted down the corridor. How could she have forgotten it? She reached the stairs which leaded to her cabin. As she went down, she saw water - water that raised faster and faster. Carefully, she took a few steps more down and reached the water level. She felt a shudder run down her back as she touched the water. But she had to get back... she couldn't leave without it. Slowly Julie went down the corridor and turned right into her cabin. The water flow up her waist. She couldn't loose any more time. There was the locket she had been looking for. It was under her pillow where she had put it the evening before. It seemed to be years ago. She grabbed it and wanted to put it into her back, but the lace slided out of her hand and the locket fell into the cold water. She reached for it but it sank too fast. It had sunk right to the floor. Julie took a deep breath and fell on her knees. Her eyes were open and the saltwater burned terribly but she didn't care. The locket was the last thing she had from her father, and she wouldn't let it sink down to the bottom of North Atlantic. Julie's hands were groping over the floor for a few seconds, but then she had it.
On her way back she wanted to take a short cut through the smoking room. She had just reached the door and wanted to go back on deck when she heard someone cough. She turned around surprisedly, wondering who would stand in the smoking room calmly while he was about to die. Mr Andrews stood in front of the fireplace silently. He had just noticed Julie and went towards her. "What are you still doing here?", he asked. "Get into a lifeboat as quickly as possible. And take on a lifebelt." "Okay", Julie nodded. "But why aren't you in a boat? You should try to get a seat like all the others do, and if..." She fell silent as she looked into his eyes. She could see endless regret and sadness in them. "If I stay here I can maybe save the life of someone else - someone who is not as guilty as me. I couldn't make her unsinkable, and I did never say something like that. But I should have contradicted all the people who said this." He looked at the painting over the fireplace thoughtfully.
"Mr Andrews?", Julie asked quietly. "Why are there no third class passengers on deck? I didn't see any." The creator of Titanic sighed. "You shouldn't worry about this too much. Just get in one of these lifeboats, okay?" Julie stayed were she was. "They don't let the poor get a seat in the boats, am I right?" Mr Andrews didn't answer. "That's not fair! Everyone should have a chance to survive." He looked directly into her eyes. "Of course, little girl, but that's not possible. Money makes the world go around. I didn't make this up, it's just a fact. You'll understand this when you're older." Julie felt tears come to her eyes. Damn! She hadn't wanted to cry in front of a man she didn't even know.

Posted on: 2007/6/24 13:26
Create PDF from Post Print
Subject Poster Date
     Re: Julie - A Life So Short Captain Dan 2007/5/18 15:55
     Re: Julie - A Life So Short Kathi 2007/5/18 19:02
       Re: Julie - A Life So Short Danny J 2007/5/29 20:23
         Re: Julie - A Life So Short Titanic_charlie 2007/5/29 22:17
     Re: Julie - A Life So Short Kathi 2007/5/29 18:38
     Re: Julie - A Life So Short Kathi 2007/5/30 16:01
       Re: Julie - A Life So Short Danny J 2007/5/30 20:59
         Re: Julie - A Life So Short Titanic_charlie 2007/5/30 22:36
     Re: Julie - A Life So Short Kathi 2007/6/4 15:12