Main Menu
Recent News
Latest Articles
Random photos

Titanic.com - Titanic News, Photos, Articles & Research | Forum Index
   Titanic historic
   Thomas Andrews: Hero, or as guilty as Ismay?

Browsing this Thread:   69 Anonymous Users

Bottom    Previous Topic    Next Topic
  •  Rate Thread
      Rate this Thread
      Excellent
      Good
      Average
      Bad
      Terrible
Poster Thread Rated:  4 Votes
  •  MGY Friend
      MGY Friend
Re: Thomas Andrews: Hero, or as guilty as Ismay?

From New Mexico, USA
Group:
Registered Users
u kno me♥: You might want to read some of the testimony.

Ismay seemed to step into the lifeboat on an instictual move. He was helping load women and children into the boats for over an hour before he left the ship. If he was a villian who only cared about himself, I belive he would have slipped off much sooner.

The reason is that in actuality, when Callapsable C was lowered, all the other passengers were much further aft along the boatdeck (since most of the regular forward boats had already been lowered. There was no other passengers around, especially women and children standing around him. So, if the commanding officer was not going to lower that boat to capacity, then what is the use of Ismay (a human being) being just one more casualty? If Andrews had stepped into that boat (or any other boat), would history have judged him different? (I wish he would have just to hear his expert testimony )

And, with regarding Ismay, If I may point out, I believe you are stuck in that classic 1912 mindset of Women and Children first! Well, OK, it sounds good, but what does that do for equality? To pick and choose the beliefs back then is hard to do when regarding the bigger picture of what they mean (In regards to the way that women were treated back then -property, propped up on a pedistal -IE all the things that "Rose Dawson" hated.

People vindicated Ismay for surviving when so many children, and Women died. However, historians have stated that the early sufferage movement back then did not agree with this. They belived that it was the duty of every woman on board Titanic to refuse to get in the lifeboats first in the name of equality of the sexes.

Also, Ismay had no control over the third class women and children being trapped below. That was up to Ameican immigration standards regarding ship segregation (due to infectious desieses.

You said that Andrews gave up his place in a boat for someone? When was this? I do not remember him getting into a boat.

Furthermore, You stated that Andrews as polite and gave his life? Gave his life for what? The boats were never properly loaded anyway. He went into a catatonic shock, unresponsive to peoples' pleas to him to save his life. If anything, he gave up and did not even try to save himself (A quitter!)

Well, I've become longwinded (again...sorry ), but to shunn someone for thier survival instinct (especially in this day when chivalry is dead), I find rather pointless.
The reason is that ship
has a purpose".

Sir Winston Churchill

www.mrmarshall.proboards62.com
Posted on: 2007/11/16 21:51
Create PDF from Post Print
Subject Poster Date
     Re: Thomas Andrews: Hero, or as guilty as Ismay? Titanic_charlie 2007/11/15 22:19
       Re: Thomas Andrews: Hero, or as guilty as Ismay? <3 2007/11/16 20:32
         Re: Thomas Andrews: Hero, or as guilty as Ismay? MGY Friend 2007/11/16 21:51
           Re: Thomas Andrews: Hero, or as guilty as Ismay? Titanic_charlie 2007/11/16 22:48
             Re: Thomas Andrews: Hero, or as guilty as Ismay? <3 2007/11/18 18:50
               Re: Thomas Andrews: Hero, or as guilty as Ismay? lilcandycane 2007/11/19 3:45
                 Re: Thomas Andrews: Hero, or as guilty as Ismay? MGY Friend 2007/11/19 16:02
                   Re: Thomas Andrews: Hero, or as guilty as Ismay? Anonymous 2007/11/20 12:00
                     Re: Thomas Andrews: Hero, or as guilty as Ismay? Mac G 2007/11/20 17:20
                       Re: Thomas Andrews: Hero, or as guilty as Ismay? MGY Friend 2007/11/20 19:31
                         Re: Thomas Andrews: Hero, or as guilty as Ismay? Mac G 2007/11/26 3:23
                           Re: Thomas Andrews: Hero, or as guilty as Ismay? Mac G 2007/11/26 3:31
                             Re: Thomas Andrews: Hero, or as guilty as Ismay? MGY Friend 2007/11/26 23:07
                               Re: Thomas Andrews: Hero, or as guilty as Ismay? Mac G 2007/11/27 4:46
                                 Re: Thomas Andrews: Hero, or as guilty as Ismay? Mac G 2007/11/27 4:50
                                   Re: Thomas Andrews: Hero, or as guilty as Ismay? <3 2007/11/27 21:21
                                     Re: Thomas Andrews: Hero, or as guilty as Ismay? pianoprincess 2007/12/2 22:45
                                       Re: Thomas Andrews: Hero, or as guilty as Ismay? <3 2007/12/2 22:58
                                         Re: Thomas Andrews: Hero, or as guilty as Ismay? Mac G 2007/12/3 0:18
                                           Re: Thomas Andrews: Hero, or as guilty as Ismay? <3 2007/12/3 20:20
                                             Re: Thomas Andrews: Hero, or as guilty as Ismay? Mac G 2007/12/4 1:53
                                               Re: Thomas Andrews: Hero, or as guilty as Ismay? <3 2007/12/4 20:45
                                                 Re: Thomas Andrews: Hero, or as guilty as Ismay? Mac G 2007/12/8 6:14
                                                   Re: Thomas Andrews: Hero, or as guilty as Ismay? <3 2007/12/9 4:15
                       Re: Thomas Andrews: Hero, or as guilty as Ismay? SimpsonsGod551 2007/12/27 5:09
       Re: Thomas Andrews: Hero, or as guilty as Ismay? SeaRiggs 2008/1/19 22:06
         Re: Thomas Andrews: Hero, or as guilty as Ismay? Anonymous 2008/2/17 17:31
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

You cannot start a new topic.
 You can view topic.
 You cannot reply to posts.
 You cannot edit your posts.
 You cannot delete your posts.
 You cannot add new polls.
 You cannot vote in polls.
 You cannot attach files to posts.
 You cannot post without approval.

Copyright © 2006-2012 Titanic.com
Home Photos Advertise Link to us Flower Box